• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Question when OBS just stops

Started by cajunboudreaux, November 19, 2011, 07:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajunboudreaux

What could have happend now???????? We all know the problems i had right out of the box when i got this new one(bad element,bad slider).
In the middle of smoking snack sticks last night and my OBS just quit working.

The element will not heat up and when i slide the control to the right nothing happens and the light doesn't even come on.I do still have power the the Generator and i have checked the fuse and made sure it was plugged in correctly..
What could it be now?? Surely these two things didn't go bad again.
This isn't good being so close to thanksgiving and i have alot to do...Going to call Bradley 1st thing Monday morning and see what they think being that it is under warranty...

I sure do wish I would find who stole my 12yr old OBS that never had 1 single issue. 
Laissez les bon temps rouler

GusRobin

1) all plugs in? 2) Circuit popped on power outlet? 3)Fuse in smoke generator ok 4) In-line fuse ok
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

cajunboudreaux

All plugs are in correctly. All circuits in house are live. Fuse in generator is good( the light on the generator is lit ) I do not know where the inline fuse is located to check??

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

Meat tooth

If you replaced the slider, are you sure that the connectors were put on tight? Unplug it from the wall and check the connections behind the slider panel. Just a thought... 8)
Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

cajunboudreaux

I replaced it a few months back. It has been working great. I have been smoking every other day since I got the new parts. I checked all Connections,they are good. Guess I will check in-line fuse in the morning

GusRobin

If you have checked all the wiring connections to the slider and the ones to the plug in the back  and if the only thing you don't have power to it is probably the in line fuse.  Here is some info from other posts on the subject.

"If you open your cabinet you see a nickel size round sensor, about 2/3 up. This is the heat sensor. In the back of the unit, the fuse is about that same height. You will have to take the back off. " Looks like this.

[/quote]

here is a write up by Habs that may help:
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 06, 2010, 02:07:36 AM
Hi Smokinfiss;

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to here about your problem. What model smoker do you have?

The OBS (original) has dual safety mechanism to prevent the smoker from getting too hot. An in-line fuse that will blow if the temperature gets too hot. If that blows, it must be replaced. It also has a high temperature sensor that is designed to cut the smoker off, then reset - but these have been known to blow out at times and if it did blow out it will have to be replaced.

I don't have the DBS (digital), but I believe it only has the in-line fuse.

From your description and what happen just prior to you using your smoker again, it sounds like you either blown the in-line fuse and/or the high temperature senor. One of the electricians should be along to explain how to test it with a meter (if you have one). You can visually check the in-line fuse by removing the back cover. The picture below is of an OBS. At the top right of the  picture you will see the high temperature sensor (black box) the the in-line fuse is connected to the temperature sensor by the red wire. The fuse is covered in a clear plastic shield, so it is visible. Check to see if that is blow, or if the plastic is cloudy and you can't see the fuse it has blown.

If you are on warranty call Bradley Tech.; if not on warranty replacement parts can be obtained either through Bradley or Yard & Pool stocks almost all replacement parts. If you need to replace one or both of these parts it will cost you less then $10 plus S&H.

If your unit is under warranty then call Bradley. If not and you need an in line fuse call Yard and pool. Not sure if they can get it to you before Thanksgiving. If not you have two choices:
1) When mine blew I cut the wire below the fuse and above the fuse, removed that part and respliced the wires together. It worked fine for me (and others that told me about it, but do so at your own risk and replace as soon as soon as possible.)
2) If you would like I can express mail an extra one that I have. PM your name and address and I can express mail it Mon or even Tuesday and you should get it tues or wed. You can order a replacement shipped to me and send me the money for the express mail ( I think it is about $15. -this is all if you are in the US)

Habanero Smoker

Some times when you change an element, if you pull it out too far before removing the wiring, you can loosen the connection at the plug. So check that first, when you take the back off.

I read a post by Brian, Admin. I believe he stated that if the high temperature sensor trips and stays open, holding an ice cube against the sensor may reset it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cajunboudreaux

Pulled the back cover off and the plastic sleeve is a yellowish color. I slid that down and the fuse and wire are intact. The fuse would be burnt or missing if it was bad right? I will try and research the post by Brian regarding ice. I would assume you would do this witht the unit plugged in?

cajunboudreaux

Seems to be the in-line fuse. i by-passed it and we are heating again. Going to let it run for a few and see what happens. I'll call Bradley in the morning for a replacement. THANK-YOU very much for your help.. 

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: cajunboudreaux on November 20, 2011, 07:55:01 AM
Pulled the back cover off and the plastic sleeve is a yellowish color. I slid that down and the fuse and wire are intact. The fuse would be burnt or missing if it was bad right? I will try and research the post by Brian regarding ice. I would assume you would do this witht the unit plugged in?

I believe he did it with the smoker off, then turned it on.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)