Virgin smoker, curer and poster to Bradley Smoker

Started by newbie666, November 21, 2011, 05:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbie666

Hi there,

I'm new to this field of cooking and would like to do a little due diligence before I start investing in equipment etc.

May a few newbie questions, which I'm sure have been asked a thousand times, so I hope you'll indulge me one last time?

#1 Do you dry or wet cure bacon? Can you do both and if so, which method is recommended/preferred?

#2 To avoid botulism etc, do you need an ingredient such as Instacure to cure bacon or because it's actually going to be hot-smoked &/or cooked afterwards, only salt & something sweet (sugar, honey etc) is needed?

#3 If you're using Maple syrup in your cure, would you also also Maple smoke the bacon?

#4 Has anyone ever made "Danish Bacon" (it's the style of bacon I've usually purchased in the UK?  If so, would you cure and smoke it the same way as any other bacon?

Many thanks for helping-out yet another newbie.
Newbie666

devo

Here is our go to recipe site. There you find many recipes for bacon. Good info on cures. You will be busy reading for some time. And welcome to the forum.
happy smoking
;D

http://www.susanminor.org/

Tenpoint5

Quote from: newbie666 on November 21, 2011, 05:42:33 PM
Hi there,

I'm new to this field of cooking and would like to do a little due diligence before I start investing in equipment etc.

May a few newbie questions, which I'm sure have been asked a thousand times, so I hope you'll indulge me one last time?

#1 Do you dry or wet cure bacon? Can you do both and if so, which method is recommended/preferred?

Yes we have both dry and wet cure recipes floating around here on the forum and the recipe site. You get to choose which one you want to do

#2 To avoid botulism etc, do you need an ingredient such as Instacure to cure bacon or because it's actually going to be hot-smoked &/or cooked afterwards, only salt & something sweet (sugar, honey etc) is needed?

Yes it is recommended that you use cure #1 when making bacon. However there are some that have made bacon without cure. I wouldn't advise it myself.

#3 If you're using Maple syrup in your cure, would you also also Maple smoke the bacon?

That is a matter of choice as well. I have done it both ways with Hickory and with Maple. I like the Hickory smoke better myself

#4 Has anyone ever made "Danish Bacon" (it's the style of bacon I've usually purchased in the UK?  If so, would you cure and smoke it the same way as any other bacon?

I am guessing that the type of bacon you are describing is called Schinkenspeck and is a pork loin wrapped with a pork belly then cured and smoked, then sliced thin. I have wanted to try and make this type of Bacon but as of yet I have not tried to make it. I do have a recipe in one of my books to make it if you would like to try it.

Many thanks for helping-out yet another newbie.
Newbie666

Welcome Aboard
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SamuelG

Welcome to one amazing place... And even better people!

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

ghost9mm

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

beefmann

welcome to the forum and agrees with 10.5 on your  questions