• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Prime Rib Curveball?

Started by smokehawk, November 21, 2011, 06:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokehawk

Well a friend of a friend just threw me for one...

I was going to smoke a nice 5lb boneless prime rib for my buddy who hooked me up with a suite ticket to our college rivalry game plus I added another 4lb one for myself.  Last week (while drinking) I volunteered to add a roast for a friend of a friend for Thursday.  Well I just got it and it's a bone in 6lb roast. 

Here's what I normally do:

Nice rub, (coarse kosher salt, oregano, garlic, pepper and flour for crust) and I cook and smoke at 200 in my Bradley digital.  I got the idea from all of you with the IT of 125-130.  Great, works good, have it down and cook time was about 4-5 hours depending on how much I throw in the racks at once.   

My question is how much more time do I need to allow for the bone-in roast?  How much is that going to throw my cook time off? 

Thanks!

hal4uk

Quote from: smokehawk on November 21, 2011, 06:55:43 PM
My question is how much more time do I need to allow for the bone-in roast?  How much is that going to throw my cook time off? 
Thanks!
It will just take slightly longer; stick to the plan... Probe it dead center of the meat part (like the bones didn't exist) and go by IT as usual.

[disclaimer:  I think I got smacked down (like stepping on an ant) the last time I offered Prime Rib advice.  Truth is, I've only cooked a few thousand prime ribs, so listen to me at your own peril; won't hurt my feelings if you wait for the experts (or use a MAPP torch; it's your beef).  Awrighten.]
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

Quote from: hal4uk on November 21, 2011, 07:23:28 PM
[disclaimer:  I think I got smacked down (like stepping on an ant) the last time I offered Prime Rib advice.  Truth is, I've only cooked a few thousand prime ribs, so listen to me at your own peril; won't hurt my feelings if you wait for the experts (or use a MAPP torch; it's your beef).  Awrighten.]
Oooo! SNAP Hal4UK! ;) ;D 8)

hal4uk

Quote from: KyNola on November 21, 2011, 07:29:05 PM
Quote from: hal4uk on November 21, 2011, 07:23:28 PM
Oooo! SNAP Hal4UK! ;) ;D 8)
[Time.Space Warp]
Huh?  I'm back.. What did I miss?
[/Time.Space Warp]
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

smokehawk

cool, will do!  I appreciate the advice--no smacking here, just dreaming of a piece about 1/2" thick that pulls apart with almost no effort!

KyNola

Quote from: smokehawk on November 21, 2011, 07:38:46 PM
cool, will do!  I appreciate the advice--no smacking here, just dreaming of a piece about 1/2" thick that pulls apart with almost no effort!
Smokehawk, no smack from you at all.  Hal knows what I'm referring to. ;)

I have known Hal for more years than either of us would care to admit.  One of many things I know for sure about Hal is he has cooked more Prime Rib than all of the rest of us combined.  The boy knows Prime Rib.

I just received a 7 lb boneless Wagyu Prime Rib roast from Snake River Farms and come Xmas time, I'll be looking to Hal for advice on how to properly prepare it.

hal4uk

Quote from: smokehawk on November 21, 2011, 07:38:46 PM
You're dead-on-track to a great roast!

Only thing is... With a bone-in roast, you usually slice between the bones, so you'll have way thicker slices than 1/2"!
(think COWBOY PORTIONS)

Of course, you can always trim the bones away and slice as required for normal humans    ;D  :o

BUT---The bone-in presentation will make people believe you really did meet some Food Network star (of your mind's choice)...
Heck, I met Elvis.  He cleaned my garage.
Awrighten.
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

hal4uk

Quote from: KyNola on November 21, 2011, 07:48:12 PM
I just received a 7 lb boneless Wagyu Prime Rib roast from Snake River Farms and come Xmas time, I'll be looking to Hal for advice on how to properly prepare it.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh...  Heck yeahhhhhhhh....
I might have have to drop by (with my best silk bib) for a VISIT!!!!
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

Quote from: hal4uk on November 21, 2011, 07:53:17 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh...  Heck yeahhhhhhhh....
I might have have to drop by (with my best silk bib) for a VISIT!!!!
Son, you KNOW you're always welcome at my house any day.  Especially if you bring that gorgeous wife of yours. ;)  Might have some Makers Mark stashed away too.

smokehawk

Well thanks again to both of you!  I really want to get some Snake River farms meat to feed my smoker but lately my extra funds have been diverted towards my other hobby--fireworks.  Still buying meat from Costco.

hal4uk

Quote from: smokehawk on November 21, 2011, 08:29:59 PM
Well thanks again to both of you!  I really want to get some Snake River farms meat to feed my smoker but lately my extra funds have been diverted towards my other hobby--fireworks.  Still buying meat from Costco.
FIREWORKS?
Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?  
You make em or ignite em?
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

GusRobin

, I'll be looking to Hal for advice on how to properly prepare it.
Advice ---send it to Gus
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Keymaster

Heres a great video on how to cut up your primal hunk of meat.

Beef Rib 109 tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dUiCb3LhO0

Tater

Thanks for the link Keymaster.  Very informative.