Hot Dogs Natural Casing?

Started by MrJim, December 30, 2005, 12:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrJim

<font color="green"><font size="3"><b>Is there any point to smoking Hot Dogs before grilling and has anyone done it, and results? As I have not received my smoker yet I am dreaming up ideas. [?][?][:D]</b></font id="size3"></font id="green">

Jim
"It is what it is"

owrstrich

hot dogs aint suposed to be grilled...

they are supposed to be steamed...
put on a steamed poppyseed bun...
slathered in yeller terd of mus...
heaped with bright green relish and chopped onions...
topped with sliced tomatoes and a pickle spear and hot peppers...
dashed with celery salt...

what the he11 is wrong with you man...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

MrJim

You must be from Phillie. If you ever go to Buffalo NY do not say that[:D]

Jim
"It is what it is"

jaeger

Mr.Jim,
When I smoke store bought, I buy natural casing wieners and smoke them for 40 minutes. Start out with good quality hotdogs or don't bother, just grill them.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MrJim</i>
<br />You must be from Phillie. If you ever go to Buffalo NY do not say that[:D]

Jim
"It is what it is"
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hey! Keep in mind that Buffalo has the only New York NFL team.[:D]

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">hot dogs aint suposed to be grilled... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Sorry I grill and boil / steam my dogs....

One day I'm going to break down and make my own dogs....just have not found a recipe I'm comfortable with yet.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

I walk my dogs[:D] sorry just had to

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I walk my dogs sorry just had to<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Just tell me about it... [:)]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I walk my dogs sorry just had to<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Just tell me about it... [:)]

Olds

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Go Skyway, go Skyway, go Skyway . . . [8D][:D][8D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

justafeedboy

After buying a bradley the next best investments a person can purchase are an electronic therm. and a copy of "Smoke and Spice",
I checked out the book twice from my library before buying a copy, There is an endless number of recipes and good advice

Just my 2 cents

Mike

IKnowWood

Mike

you are right on there.  S&S is a great book for ideas.  The therm is a great help as well.  

One other book I use frequently is a general Grilling & Barbecue book I have that goes over meat  components, factors of rubs, comparasion of methods and types of cuts.  It has been very helpful.  there are also some good rubs and such.

As far as hot dogs.  I have not yet done so.

However I did smoke some Nathan's Sausages (Jalapeno and Cheddar to be speciifc) and they were great.  I image they would be great on a roll with some mustard.  I had them with eggs on morning with my son (he's 5) and we both loved them.  They were cold smoked for 2 hours.  I can only image how they would taste warm or hot smoked to done.   mmmmm   just thinking about it makes me hungry.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jaeger</i>
<br />Mr.Jim,
When I smoke store bought, I buy natural casing wieners and smoke them for 40 minutes. Start out with good quality hotdogs or don't bother, just grill them.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Doug do you cold smoke them at all? I just ordered 10lbs. of very good quality natural casing wieners and was thinking of cold smoking them before vacuum sealing them in one pound packs. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks,

Bubbagump

jaeger

bubbagump,
I suppose that would work and would add some smoke flavor, but I have always just smoked them during the reheat process. I usually just start the smoke right away and warm them up to 150-160f. This has got to be the easiest smoke there is. It may be cheating and to easy but it is definetly a must if you like natural casing wieners or sausage links or rings. I always use hickory for what I feel is the original smoke flavor for sausages.
If we are have a simple burger cookout with family or friends, I always like to have a few wieners in the smoker. If we have late arrivals, I just put some food in a pan covered with foil and the Bradley makes an excellent food holder/warmer.

<font size="2"><b>Doug</b></font id="size2">