• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Plano Texas and Surrounding Area...

Started by SnellySmokesEm, November 22, 2011, 09:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnellySmokesEm

I am flying into DFW tomorrow and will be at my Dad's in Plano for thanksgiving until Sunday Morning.  Any suggestion as to any local rub or sauce that I should pick up while I am out there?  Or an BBQ joints I should try to hit up?  My time will be pretty limited but I might be able to do a meet and greet somewhere.  I know its the holidays and pretty last minute so let me know..... Thanks in advance!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

classicrockgriller

I think KyNola likes and uses a rub from that area.

Spicy Pig?

He'll see this and comment.

Might want to give DTAggie a PM. He is from that area.

SnellySmokesEm

OK Thanks Sonny!  Cant wait to get out there and see the family!
BBQ Evangelist

KyNola

It's "Juicy Pig" Matt.  That is WAY good on ribs.  Also, pick up some Zach's Brisket Rub and Zach's BBQ Hickory Rub.  They are both awesome too.  The reason I know is because my buddy CRG brought me a load of Zach's.

SnellySmokesEm

Alright, sounds good... Where do you get these rubs?
BBQ Evangelist

Caneyscud

Dallas was a great place to live, but, at least in the past, just did not have any what I would call good bbq joints.  Oh, there was a lot of places to buy what passes at bbq, just none that went past the mass produced stainless steel and glass door automatic bbq where a pimple faced boy who's voice is still changing, pushes a button as he leaves for the night to make sure the automatic "smoker" is on.  But then again, I only lived in Dallas for 4 months, and only went there on other times to go to a Cowboy game, or to the Cotton Bowl, or to Six Flags - I wasn't looking for bbq.  To get to Dallas, we had to pass many a fine bbq place.  Now steaks in Dallas is another thing - some mighty fine eating at many places. 

Of course Sonny Bryans is famous - but have not tried their sauce or anything else - might be worth a try though.  Bakers is famous for their ribs - usually ranking near the top.  Might try some of their stuff.  I know, that Dallas and it's environs is the quintessential cosmopolitan McMansion area of Texas, so they might not stoop low enough to have meat markets and such.  But further south down I35 way, there are a number of local meat markets, butcher shops, etc... that put out and carry some pretty good stuff.  Might be worth a look for something like that.  If there is an HEB grocery store or their more upscale Central Market around, they would be worth a stop - the carry some pretty good local stuff.  Other than living in Big D for 4 months the most I know about Plano is that I took out a girl from Plano out two-stepping a few times to Lakeview.  When in college, it was a well known fact that the prettiest women were in and near Dallas, and with Texas Women's University, and North Texas State (old name), there were always road trips to the area, but being the bird dogs all my buddy's were they were not interested in bbq.  They just wanted to go to Mockingbird Lane.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

squirtthecat

I don't know anything about this place, but the menu (featured entrees from the different parts of Texas) sure looks interesting..

http://www.loveandwarintexas.com/Texas-Food.htm

FLBentRider

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on November 22, 2011, 09:28:29 PM
Alright, sounds good... Where do you get these rubs?

Hey Snelly, if that stuff doesn't have MSG, pick me up one of each of the Juicy pig and the Zacks.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TomW

Quote from: Caneyscud on November 23, 2011, 06:38:02 AMWhen in college, it was a well known fact that the prettiest women were in and near Dallas, and with Texas Women's University, and North Texas State (old name), there were always road trips to the area, but being the bird dogs all my buddy's were they were not interested in bbq.  They just wanted to go to Mockingbird Lane.

Well said! I fell in love on Mockingbird lane quite often!

Also agree completely on the lack of interesting local bbq places.

Tom
I may not know much about cooking, but I know lots about eating...

KyNola

Randy, just checked the ingredients list on Zach's Rub.  Neither the Hickory nor Sweet Rubs list MSG but unfortunately the Brisket Rub does list MSG.

Here is the website for "Juicy Pig".  According to it there is no MSG in "Juicy Pig".  I am out of it so I had to go to the website for the answer.

Hope this helps a bit.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

You're welcome my friend.  Hope your family and you have a great holiday.

SnellySmokesEm

Thanks guys.  So where do I get the juicy pig and zachs?
BBQ Evangelist

DTAggie

Hey Snelly just got in from a week at Disney in Florida (needless to say I am beat).  I get my Juicy Pig and lots of other great Texas spices from Loco Cowpoke on the square in McKinney.  About 15 miles north of Plano.  You really should check it out. 

I just tried a BBQ sauce they carry called Broken Trail.  It is fantastic.  This place only has items from Texas and has samples of every item.  Well worth a trip up here.  Would love to meet you there but being gone 8 days I am swamped with work around the house including all my neighbors leaves in the pool.

www.lococowpoke.com

Tenpoint5

Snelly you can always stop in to Rodaks they are in DFW area. Pick you up some more Mies breading and some their sauces.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!