• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rckcrwlr Likes them Easy..................(The Big Easy)

Started by Rckcrwlr, November 27, 2011, 10:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rckcrwlr

I was able to try this last night.

Picked up an 8# Roaster and rubbed it with EVOO and a Chicken Rub.

Preheated the Big Easy and Placed in the Chicken

About 45 mins in...

About 75 mins in...

Almost to temp...

About 100 mins in the temp was at 170 so I pulled it out to rest.

Comparing to the clean up of a Oil Fryer, this is nothing.  I just wiped it out and applied some oil for protection.

Crispy Skin and very moist inside.

Extremely satisfied and looking forward to trying more stuff.

viper125

You know I've seen posts on all the forums I frequent on the big easy. Really never knew what it was. They had them on Black Friday for 75.00. If i would have sen it I may have bought one. Looks basically like my Turkey fryer but no oil. How do the tastes compare? I love fried turkey in oil.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

mikecorn.1

Myself, I don't really miss the messing with peanut oil and spending all that money on it. Birds come out really moist with a nice crisp skin. EASY clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

OldHickory

I bought one two weeks ago, have used it twice with the Bradley for smoke/cook first and they came out great, moist and tender.  I did brine.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on November 27, 2011, 12:03:22 PM
Myself, I don't really miss the messing with peanut oil and spending all that money on it. Birds come out really moist with a nice crisp skin. EASY clean up.

Quote from: OldHickory on November 27, 2011, 12:43:28 PM
I bought one two weeks ago, have used it twice with the Bradley for smoke/cook first and they came out great, moist and tender.  I did brine.

Have you guys tried anything else but Birds?  I am curious what a Prime Rib Roast would be like....

Tenpoint5

Make sure you oil that Big Easy chamber inside and out then fire it up and let it cook until it stops smoking. The dark seasoned sides will help the unit cook even faster. Since you have done some reading and already have a Tommy ring in there put a hand full of pellets up against the wall at about the 5:30 mark should give you about 20 minutes of smoke in there to add a little extra flavor. If the pellets won't fire for you at that point. use the basket handle and poke it in one of the vent holes and rotate the pellets to the 12 o'clock mark
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

viper125

Wondering why that chicken got burnt in one area. Don't get me wrong I like them that way. Just wondering if its some thing to watch in these.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Rckcrwlr on November 27, 2011, 06:06:32 PM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on November 27, 2011, 12:03:22 PM

Quote from: OldHickory on November 27, 2011, 12:43:28 PM

Have you guys tried anything else but Birds?  I am curious what a Prime Rib Roast would be like....
Nope just birds and I do use the grill alot.

Mike

Rckcrwlr

My shipment just showed up with three shelves, two leg racks and the kabob rack.  Yes, I went a little overboard but it is cheaper to order it at once then individually.

BTW:  I ended up with an extra cover.  Anyone looking for one?

mikecorn.1

Quote from: viper125 on November 27, 2011, 06:54:49 PM
Wondering why that chicken got burnt in one area. Don't get me wrong I like them that way. Just wondering if its some thing to watch in these.
Could be a high sugar content in the rub/seasoning. Also the chamber cooks hotter towards the top (at least on the SRG).

Mike

Rckcrwlr

I would like to have had it centered a little better.  I will be trying the Bunk Bed Chicken with smaller ones in the near future but the larger chickens seem lost in the basket.

muebe

Quote from: Rckcrwlr on November 28, 2011, 09:29:01 AM
I would like to have had it centered a little better.  I will be trying the Bunk Bed Chicken with smaller ones in the near future but the larger chickens seem lost in the basket.

Use a beer can chicken holder to center the bird. You can use a beer in it too ;)

And tie the legs and wings back to keep them from burning.

If you use a beer in the holder then I suggest heating the beer in a saucepan and then add it back to the can before cooking for best results. And only have it half way or 3/4 full.

Make sure the skin is completely dry of moisture. You can add a little oil to the skin if you like but I find it does not make too much of a difference.

When using rubs do not use any with a high sugar content or large particles of seasoning because they will burn.

I have cooked so many things besides yard bird and turkey in my Big Easy. Everything turns out fantastic. Lamb, Prime-Rib, Pork Loins, Chicken Wings.... and so much more.

You will get better results the darker the chamber gets so make sure to season it. The mesh screened lid will help to speed up the cook and crisp the skin. I usually use it for the first half of the cook. It is also helpful to use when it is very cold outside or windy.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Rckcrwlr

Wow...thanks a lot.

I am really excited about doing something else with this. 

What would you suggest the next "best" thing to try would be?  I have a Steeler Game Party next Sunday and would like to use it.  Turkey is out of the question.

Thanks for your input.

John

muebe

Throw a bunch of wings in there or a tri-tip.  Use the leg racks to use stack the wings on. The Big Easy makes great wings.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: muebe on November 28, 2011, 04:36:28 PM
Throw a bunch of wings in there or a tri-tip.  Use the leg racks to use stack the wings on. The Big Easy makes great wings.

I have three of the shelves, would they work better for the wings or are saying for me to hang them on the leg racks?