power supplies problems

Started by TARBABY, November 28, 2011, 07:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TARBABY

After 4 years of my smoker working fine, all of a sudden I would set it and it would start and and then it would cut off. I talked to support and  told them my problem they said the temp. control for $40+/_ might solve the problem but they could not guarantee it would solve the problem but the alternative was a $120+ control would solve the problem.  I ordered an new $40 dollar temp. control. Replace it and it heated up fine and held temp. fine for 30 min.. Put my salmon in it and after 5 min. the power goes out again. Tried again and it dies again. Has anyone any suggestion what check for.

devo

There is a little round sencer in the back of the smoker, this is there to shut off your smoker if things get to hot inside. Sometimes these go faulty and stick open. Sometimes you can get them to close by putting ice on it and making it close. Just a suggestion to try.

TedEbear

Quote from: TARBABY on November 28, 2011, 07:12:28 PMReplace it and it heated up fine and held temp. fine for 30 min..

What temp are you trying to cook at?

TARBABY

I replaced the sensor and wire last year and it still cut off that is why I just purchase the digital power supply. I ran a test at 175f it worked fine for over 30 min. so I started cooking the salmon at 165 because I had already smoked in my charcoal smoker for 3 hr. at 130.  It was doing fine after 20 min. at 165 so I left for a hour came back to 75F salmon. I then took it back to my gas grill ran a test again at 225 it worked so I transferred it back and reset for 175f  it died again after 5 min so I cut it off and finished on the grill.

Habanero Smoker

Since you've had this problem, have you tried running the smoker as it was originally designed; to make sure it is not your digital temperature controller that is causing the problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TARBABY

I will try it. I believe you are referring to just plugging in the smoker with out any heat control.

GusRobin

What type of digital control you using? Yes I would try the smoker just using the slider control to see if it is working correctly.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TARBABY on November 30, 2011, 02:36:32 PM
I will try it. I believe you are referring to just plugging in the smoker with out any heat control.

Yes. That will determine if the problem my be caused by the controller.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

TARBABY

I have no slider or red light. This is the straight digital unit btds108p not an up-grade

Habanero Smoker

Knowing that it is a digital model makes a big difference.

You need to provide more information, because I'm not sure how you have your unit hooked up.

When you are talking about the digital controller, are you speaking of the digital generator, or a third party temperature control device such as a PID?

If you have a third party temperature control device it is important to know what type.

I
         don't
                   inhale.