Types of wood

Started by DTJ, November 30, 2011, 01:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTJ

I know I have seen someone writing of some different types of wood, one that comes to mind is thyme, I think.  They showed a picture with a Bradley label.  Does anyone know if they are still available and if so where??

Also does anyone know of any good deals on bisquettes of any flavor right now.  Just realized I am very low and need to reload.

Thanks

Daryl

Habanero Smoker

The bisquettes that have thyme is made especially for Cabela and only sold by them.

The best deals on bisquettes is generally on Amazon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DTAggie

Was in Cabelas the other day and saw the Thyme pucks.  Think I need to swing back by there and pick some up for trial.

mikecorn.1

I get mine at amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Fisher

They have some good prices at Outfitters..

I got a pack of 120 pucks for $ 32.00 there on for $36.00 right now.
I bought my  4 Rack DBS for $359.00
They got some good stuff in this store.

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/cookware/smokers/bisquettes/prod172719.html

Happy Smoking

Habanero Smoker

I've tried the thyme pucks twice; once on beef, and then on chicken. I was not to impressed. Today I am smoking a boneless lamb roast, I haven't decided whether to use oak or the thyme which uses oak wood. I'm leaning towards the thyme.

If I go with the thyme I'll let you know how it turns out. On the other hand, I've applied a really spicy paste, so the smoke flavor may not be that distinct.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

DTJ

Thanks for all of the input, the best prices I could find were on Amazon, but wanted to see if anyone was aware of any specials going on.

Thanks as well about the info on the thyme bisquettes, I knew I had read about them.  Habs I was wondering how strong they would be, since thyme has such a strong disticnt flavor, with that being said maybe everything is in the leaves and not in the wood at all.

Daryl

Habanero Smoker

DTJ;

I had a chance to try the lamb last evening for dinner. The thyme goes very well with lamb, and I would suspect it will go well with any game meat.

The 4 pound lamb roast was coated with a very spicy paste, so I decided to use three hours of smoke. It was a little bit smokey, but it tasted well on lamb. So next time, I will cut down to two hours. I also may try it on a butt or my next smoked ham.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

DTJ

Thanks Habs,i look forward yo hearing your results
Daryl

Oysterhog

I have found that Yard and Pool have the best prices lately. Some of the Amazon prices may be cheaper, but look at the shipping...Only hickory was cheaper than anywhere else, just 14 bucks to ship. Not a good deal.

hal4uk

Amazon Visa + PRIME membership rocks.
Easy to redeem points, and if ya buy gas, groceries, and everything with it, it don't take long...
I buy LOTS of BBQ books/tools/etc with just my points.

Note:  Not everything qualifies under the Prime shipping program, but most things do.

Just sayin...  Works pretty darn good.
Otherwise, yeah... Y&P.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

muebe

And with Prime membership you also get access to TV shows and movies to stream. If you make several purchases a year from Amazon it pays for itself.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)