• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tasty use for leftover brisket.

Started by Caneyscud, November 30, 2011, 02:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

My wife and I just can't eat a 13# brisket at one time - I try, but just can't do it - so there is always leftovers.  One of my favorite ways to use up some is brisket nachos.  This time, I did not have much left - I had made some burnt ends, usually it would be piled much higher with chopped brisket and would have included some white cheese sauce/dip.  Yum - yum

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

I'll Take a nice big plate of that Caney!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tater

That looks AWFUL!  You should probably send it to me.
;)

ghost9mm

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

OU812

I do the same thing with lots of jalapenos,,,,,,,would be very intrested in the white sauce if'n it aint a secret.  ;D

Caneyscud

Quote from: OU812 on November 30, 2011, 07:58:52 PM
I do the same thing with lots of jalapenos,,,,,,,would be very intrested in the white sauce if'n it aint a secret.  ;D
There is actually jalapenos on it, but not as many as I would have like - did not know we were about out.  They are ground up very coarsely.  A few years ago, My wife had the idea to grind them up - and well you know - lets just say ole Caney don't rule the roost!  However, they do go better on some things.  They find themselves included in a lot of dishes around our house including scrambled eggs and in cheese grits.

Nothing secret about the white cheese sauce.  Since I never measure, you could say I make infinite versions - but generally 3 types used for different dishes

The first I use when I bake something. 
Start with a Bechamel sauce (milk gravy to us rednecks from TN) started with butter or olive oil and flour ( roux in gatorspeak) and add white cheese that won't break down or go stringy.  No set amount, just until you like the taste.  Iff'n I want to get fancy - then I just use chevre' (goat cheese to us rednecks) and maybe ricotta or sour cream and add some Parmesan for sharpness -- and always some garlic and some cayene powder or similar.   This is particularly good in say a version of baked ziti, a moussaka type dish I make with hamburger and eggplant, drizzle over a wedge of fried spaghetti, or really good in a scallop and mushroom shepherds pie.  But other cheeses and ingredients have made it into the swim including Feta, Queso Blanca (a cheese product by Kroger), Monterry Jack, Munster,  Myzithra (really good on pasta especially with more butter), Queso Asadero, Queso Chihuahua, Queso Crema, cream cheese.  If it needs loosening up, then I add more olive oil, or milk, or cream.  A mexi version is below with approximate quantities.  Add a little rosemary, get out the Buffalo Wings - throw away the ranch dressing and those green sticks and dip your wings into this. 

stick of  butter
    1/4 cup white flour
    2 cups whole milk
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    2 small cans of canned chopped green chiles, drained
    1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
    3 or more cloves of garlic, minced or granulated garlic
    olive oil
    2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped OR 1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles chopped
    8 oz. monterey jack or Queso Asadero cheese and chevre', grated or in small cubes.  Maybe some parmesan for good luck.
    salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion in olive oil and add the garlic towards the last until all is translucent.  Set asice
Make the roux - don't let it darken - so cook gently.
Add the milk while constantly stirring with a whisk until smooth and thickened
Turn heat down a little and add the cumin, onion mixture, green chiles, and the jalapeno/chipotle chiles.
Stir until well mixed and hot.
Turn the heat real low or possibly off and add the grated cheese, one handful at a time - stirring after each until all the cheese is mixed in and creamy.
Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
Serve or use in another dish

Add more milk or chicken broth leave out the chilis and peppers and you have a great  "Cream of Nothing" soup

Second is one I use on fish tacos along with an accompanying red sauce
Block of Cream cheese, mayo, maybe some sour cream, a couple of cans of diced green chilis, garlic, cumin, and some ground up jalapenos or just jalapeno pickling juice to sharpen it up.  Heat the cream cheese in bowl in the micro until soft and mix every thing else in. 

Third I use on several things such as the nachos, drizzle over a chili rellenos, over a boneless grilled chicken breast, drizzled over zucchini fritters, used on a BLT, use in green chili chicken enchilidas, over a burrito, in a redneck eggs benedict.   These start with a cheese base.  Simplist of all is to get some of the white cheese sauce/dip from Sams, add some green chilis, some garlic, some cumin, jalapenos.  Can also use the Queso Blanco from Krogers.  But best, by far, is to use Queso Asadero or Queso Chihuahua.  Sometimes I add cooked chorizo.  Just heat cheese in microwave while occassionally stirring until melted, then stir in the rest.  If too thick, use mild or olive oil to thin. 

Company coming over dip
it is cream cheese based with sausage

Block of  cream cheese
2 Tbsp good sour cream
2 lbs hot breakfast sausage
1 lb white cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese
Taco type seasoning
1/2 diced green pepper
1 diced onion (small)
granulated garlic or smashed fresh
black pepper

Brown the and crumble sausage in skillet - toward the last add the green pepper and onion.

While sausage is cooking combine cream cheese, sour cream, taco seasoning, garlic and pepper in the crockpot and stir/blend until combined.  Best done with the cream cheese at room temperature or heated in the micro.

Drain sausage mixture and to the crockpot and stir.

Cube the cheese and add to the crockpot.

Slow cook on high until creamy then turn to low and serve .

OldHickory

Lots of goodlooking stuff there Caney, and thanks for the good info on the sauces.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

OU812

Smokeville

Caney, I'm shocked that you can't finish a 13# brisket at one time! Come on, man, you just gotta try harder next time!

SnellySmokesEm

Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Fisher

Thanks for your time to post the recipe Caney.

Happy Smoking

Caneyscud

Quote from: Smokeville on December 02, 2011, 02:37:32 PM
Caney, I'm shocked that you can't finish a 13# brisket at one time! Come on, man, you just gotta try harder next time!
I'm printing this out and take to my doc next time I go.  Bad influence, bad, bad.  When he asks if I lost weight this time - I'll pop that paper out and show him what pressures I've been under to perform!   :D :D

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby