Newbie from Kansas City with a couple of questions..........

Started by 2boxers, December 05, 2011, 01:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2boxers

I am new to this game so I have the typical newbie questions. #1 From what I am reading I would be wise to have a backup heating element on hand and possibly a fuse. Can these be purchased from Bradley or is there a better source? #2 While reading about temperature control I noticed that several of you referred to a PID. What is a PID (what is it used for, is it a necessity, if so where do you get it)? #3 I chose a Bradley Digital Smoker because I believed it would be easier (less labor intensive) than a charcoal barrel smoker. Is this assumption correct? Thanks for any help you can give.

viper125

Quote from: 2boxers on December 05, 2011, 01:33:39 PM
I am new to this game so I have the typical newbie questions. #1 From what I am reading I would be wise to have a backup heating element on hand and possibly a fuse. Can these be purchased from Bradley or is there a better source? #2 While reading about temperature control I noticed that several of you referred to a PID. What is a PID (what is it used for, is it a necessity, if so where do you get it)? #3 I chose a Bradley Digital Smoker because I believed it would be easier (less labor intensive) than a charcoal barrel smoker. Is this assumption correct? Thanks for any help you can give.

1. Yes you should have a backup. Also yard and pool sells them,or Bradley.

2. A PID is basically a tempture controller similar to what the digital does. Some have 1 probe some have two. Controls heat better then a digital I hear.  Can also be used with A Digital too. Auber PID sells them.

3.Oh its less labor for sure as long as everything goes right! LOL And welcome aboard. Feel free to ask lots of questions always some one here to answer.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

beefmann

welcome aboard,

viper  has pointed you  in the right  direction  for standard elements and the  fuze can be bought  through bradley or your local electronic  store and  yes   bradley takes  less time then a charcoal  grill. most of the time i start  mine,  put the brisquetts in , water  bowl and let it  go for a few  hours remove the bowl add in a  flavored juice or  soda and let finish cooking at a box temp of 210 to 225 during a 20 hr cook i may  only  open the  door 4 times  if that .

mikecorn.1

Welcome. You don't need a PID unless you are needing tight temp control. Maintaining within a few degrees of what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

2boxers

I appreciate everyone's input. I put it together yesterday and ran it for awhile to start the "cure" process. Weather permitting, I plan to jump in this weekend and give it a try.

ghost9mm

Hello and welcome to a really great forum.... here are a couple of links that will help on the replacement element, this company is really great to work with and will go out of their way to help you and they are members of this forum...

For the PID the link to that controller is the one most here on the forum use and again a really great company to deal with...

http://www.yardandpool.com/Bradley-Smoker-Replacement-Heating-Element-p/btheat.htm

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=151
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

DADAKOTA

Welcome 2boxers.  Nice to have another smoker from the KC area the home BBQ. ;D

HSC5690

Welcome 2boxers, You will be amazed with this.  Also remember the forum members love pictures.

viper125

I disagree with the fact of needing a PID. You can do with out it till you feel you need it or can afford it. Only reason I say this is. My Pid quit working( rather I set it wrong) so I did a few smokes with out it. After being use to the PID I found the analog control lacking. I had 20 degree swings which I don't like when smoking anything. I was continuing walking back and forth changing temps. For me if I had the OBS and no PID or Maverick 732 Id go back to wood or propane. But with those two things I have complete control and I enjoy the feeling. Now I am older I feel running after the smoker is more of a young man or women's game. I'm into slow and low for me and the smoker. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers