Pork Butts in oven?

Started by watchdog56, December 05, 2011, 06:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I want to smoke a couple of pork butts this weekend but don't want to keep monitoring the smoker so I am wondering if there is a quicker way to do the butts? I want to put the butts in smoker with 4 hours of smoke, but can I put them in the oven to finish?  If so-
What temp do I set the oven at?
I plan on taking butts to IT 195, roughly how long would that take in an oven?
Do I put the butts in a foil pan or on the racks with a pan under them?
Do they come out as good or are they drier because of the faster cook times?

Ka Honu

I set the oven to the same temp I set the smoker (225o).

I'd take the butt to 200o for pulling (and FTC when IT is reached).  It takes however long it takes (varies from pig to pig).  Guideline is about 1.5 hours per pound (including smoker time) but usually longer when cooking more than one at a time.

Put them on a rack over a pan so they don't end up braising - better texture and bark that way.

They come out pretty much the the same either way since your smoker without wood is essentially an oven.

DTAggie

Ka Honu has you covered exactly the way I do mine if the oven is used.

KyNola

100% agree with Ka Honu.  I have finished many in the house oven.

mikecorn.1

I also have finished my butts in the
Oven. The whole house smells smoke-a-licious. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

watchdog56

So time wise it would be about the same as the smoker? Do I need to change the liquid out of the pan in the oven every 4 hours or so or can I let it go until done?

KyNola

Approximately same time as the smoker.  No need for liquid in the pan in the oven at all.  Put them on a rack in a roasting pan.  No neeed for any liquid in the roasting pan.

watchdog56

OK I am kind of confused here ??? Ka Honu  says over a pan(does this mean on a rack with a pan below it?) an KyNola says put in a pan with no liquid. Won't this dry them out quite a bit?

Ka Honu

We're saying the same thing; the object is to have the butts above the drippings and not cooking in them (which would be braising instead of roasting). 

I usually put a foil pan on the shelf under the butts in the smoker to catch drippings.  If I move to the oven, I use the same foil pan and put the butts on a rack in/over it (just so the butts aren't cooking in the drippings).  Then when I get to my IT, I defat the drippings for some liquid to add to the FTC and to moisten the product if needed when pulled. Otherwise I use the defatted drippings as the base for sauce, gravy, soup, or whatever.

Caneyscud

Or you can cook in the oven first to 190 to 195, let cool a little and finish off in the smoker.  That stuff about cooked meat fibers not getting smokey - balderdash!  In fact there is some evidence that heat can dissipate already deposited smoke - but not at the temps we fool with - they are talking about high heat.  Be careful in the oven as many/most don't have too good of temperature control, and it can get done faster than you expect.  And for the ultimate in fast - put in aluminum pan, with some liquid or not - not needed - the butt will have plenty, seal with foil and put in 300 oven.  Smoked braised pork ain't bad eats. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

watchdog56

Well they came out pretty nice and tender just not as much smoke flavor. Also I have to say I do like Jan's rub better.

cgaengineer

Those looked like they turned out really well!
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

SiFumar

Looks like it worked really well for you!

beefmann

Keymaster

Looks pretty darn good!

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk