• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tying Ring Sausage using collagen casings

Started by CoreyMac, December 06, 2011, 09:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreyMac

I made up some fresh sausage last weekend using collagen casing, wow now I have a favorite. Way easier than hog. Anyways, what is the best way to tie collagen when doing rings? With the hog I used to just tie the casing ends together with double knots and away we go. The collagen I noticed is a little drier, can a person just tie the casing or do you use hog rings, twine loops?

Any advice is great, thanks.

Sailor

When using collagen casings I just use twine.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

GusRobin

Kirby (pikeman) showed a method where you tie the end with some excess. Pull the excess back over the twine and tie again. If I can find the thread I'll post a link.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

NePaSmoKer

Do you want chub style or ring bologna style?

CoreyMac

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 07, 2011, 12:21:13 PM

Actually I was thinking just 32MM casings for making kielbasa rings.  ;D

Sailor

Quote from: CoreyMac on December 07, 2011, 12:54:57 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 07, 2011, 12:21:13 PM

Actually I was thinking just 32MM casings for making kielbasa rings.  ;D

You will be fine just tying them with twine.  When you stuff just leave a bit of casings to tie too.

CoreyMac

I've been reading other threads about snack sticks also and it seems the twine is the best and most common way of doing it. Seems to give best results. I've give it a shot.

Thanks again :D

Sailor

Quote from: CoreyMac on December 07, 2011, 03:56:24 PM
I've been reading other threads about snack sticks also and it seems the twine is the best and most common way of doing it. Seems to give best results. I've give it a shot.

Thanks again :D
When doing snack stix I get lazy.  I just pinch the end and start stuffing and stuff then cut the rope at 37 inches to put in the OBS hung over my bell rack.  Don't tie the snack stix off anymore and they are light enough that the meat don't fall out.

NePaSmoKer

If your wanting rings like this.

Your going to need 40mm rounded collagen casings. Straight collagen wont loop at the bottom, it will pinch.

viper125

Thats what I use the 40 mm x 18 they hold average 1.5 lbs. of meat.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

CoreyMac

Your going to need 40mm rounded collagen casings. Straight collagen wont loop at the bottom, it will pinch.

Thats the other thing I did notice, the sausage after its stuffed doesn't really like to bend well. Oh well, nice thing is Halfords in town here has small batches of hog casing. I'll just go back to that and use the collegen for everything else.

viper125

I order the round one for different things. They make a nice looking product and smoke real easy since there shorter. I like the 40 mm x 18 because of it holding 1 1/2 lbs. its a good size for us.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

OU812

I use hog casings and cut them to 22"

Tie a not 2" from the end, stuff till 2" from the other, tie again, then use the extra to tie together and hang.

Hog casing make a ring all on there own.