• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Best budget stuffer?

Started by Fernslinger, December 07, 2011, 11:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernslinger

I have been using the attachment on my Kitchenaid. It works fine but man is it slow to stuff sausage. So I am looking at getting a stuffer and was wondering what you guys recommend? I don't do a ton of sausage...usually only 5lbs at a time.

MTFiddler

Fernslinger,
Even though you may not be doing lots right now, you may want to do more and bigger batches down the road.  I would reccommend Kirby's cannon, you can put different sized barrels to fit the batch size you are working with. I've worked both (cannon and crank style) and I think the cannon is easier if you are working by yourself. Once the feed rate is set you don't have to worry about stuffing speed variances either.

I'm still wet behind the ears compared to most of the members here but that is my take.

Lon

NePaSmoKer

If you want to keep in a budget buy a grizzly or LEM 5 LB stuffer

ArnieM

I got the LEM 5 pound vertical for the all metal gears. 

I don't do a heck of a lot of stuffing either.  The KA stuffing adapter was maddening.  The LEM works great and isn't too bad to clean up.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Sailor

I have the Grizzly from Northern Tools.  It has done a fine job for me.  As long as you stop cranking when it bottoms out you will be fine.  If you force a crank when it bottoms out you may strip the plastic gears.  I have stuff lots and lots of sausage using it.  The LEM 5 pound is the same as the Grizzley cept it has metal gears and is a bit more pricy.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

muzzletim

I have the grizzly and have put a couple hundred pounds through it, never have had any trouble with the plastic gears as long as you don't  force it at the bottom!
Tim

KyNola

I used my LEM 5 lb stuffer for the first time yesterday.  It worked great.

OU812

I believe this one has metal gears,,,,,,,,,,,and its on sale.

Edit; better jump on it now cause its the last day of the sale.

squirtthecat

I have a Grizzly.  I think.  It's still in a box...   ::)  :o

SiFumar

Quote from: OU812 on December 07, 2011, 03:57:07 PM

Nope no metal gears......I have it, and it works just fine for my small batches.

NePaSmoKer

Ha

Did you notice in the video that the sausage was packaged? The larger one had a flat side.

I know....Rick you @$$.....LOL

smokeNcanuck

I bought a LEM 5 Lber (metal gears) and really like it.  However that being said now that I do a
bit more stuffing than when I started I could handle a bigger one.  I think the Kirby would be just
right!!
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

OU812

Quote from: SiFumar on December 07, 2011, 05:05:17 PM

Nope no metal gears......I have it, and it works just fine for my small batches.

Well what go figure,,,,,,,a buddy of mine bought one a few years back and it had metal gears.

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 07, 2011, 05:13:46 PM

Ha

Did you notice in the video that the sausage was packaged? The larger one had a flat side.

I know....Rick you @$$.....LOL

Dont click on any videos,,,,,,,,,,,takes longer to boot than it does to watch.

Its a hellofa good price though if'n your just startin.  ;D

Fernslinger

Thanks all...I was looking at a vertical stuffer. Looks like everyone is happy with the grizzly, Lem or even the one from Northern Tool.

Tater

I have the Northern tool one too.  I bought it when I first started out.  It works really well but a Kirby Cannon is high on my list!  It's funny how our desires evolve with experience.  I say "desires" because I don't really need a Kirby but I really want one.