Maverick ET 732

Started by bille, December 07, 2011, 04:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bille

Hey folks

I am doing some research  and considering purchasing a maverick, I was reading the user reviews on Amazon about this unit and I am concerned with a few issues it seems people are experiencing.

A general complaint is getting bad temp readings, do these units have issues with the probes, some are saying the braided cable on the probes cannot get wet, some are saying their unit only worked a few times and then stopped, it seems 14 different people gave this unit a 1 star rating.  So my question is, in your opinion and being an owner of one yourself, should I get one of these.  Thanks for any insight into this.       Bill

beefmann

billy,

i have a et 732 and yes you  can not  get the braided wire  where it enters the probe wet , if it does it  will no longer function and will have to order new ones, what i have done is applied high temperature silicone a the point where the braid enters the probe  sealing it  from moisture. have had no more problems.

i have  used my  unit 20 times so far, other then loosing a  probe the first time  when  washing it , i have had no other issues

Keymaster

I give my ET-732 Five gold stars. used it countless times with no problems. I am also aware of the moisture problem getting into the probe because of all who have warned on this forum so am always cautious not to get the probes wet or set them so grease could drip in them. If mine went bad I would buy another set. If you take good care of your equipment it should last years.

ghost9mm

Ditto... what was said about keeping the section where the cable attaches to the probe dry, not a difficult thing to do, a little care is all...and I really like the 732...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

TedEbear

Quote from: bille on December 07, 2011, 04:34:37 PMit seems 14 different people gave this unit a 1 star rating.  So my question is, in your opinion and being an owner of one yourself, should I get one of these. 

Don't overlook the 75 people who gave it a 4 and 5 star review.   ;)

I bought an ET-732 about 6 months ago. I've had 3-4 others before it.  My ET-732 is the best one I've ever owned.  The signal strength is excellent, unlike some of my others which would lose communication if they were more than 20' away through an outside wall.

You do have to be careful about keeping the wire dry where it enters the probe but I think they're all like that, regardless of model.

rigstar

don't mean to hijack the thread bille,

i have a maverick 732 sitting at home i haven't seen yet, but from
what i have read on here about the probes, mostly moisture problems
i am bringing home some heat shrink wrap for electrical wire i was going to use on the
end of the probe, and over the wire. and heat shrink it over both, to elimnate the moisture
i thought it would be a good idea as it seems all the problems encounters are due
to moisture.
is this a bad idea?
either your in, or your in the f***ing way

GusRobin

Quote from: rigstar on December 07, 2011, 09:12:35 PM
don't mean to hijack the thread bille,

i have a maverick 732 sitting at home i haven't seen yet, but from
what i have read on here about the probes, mostly moisture problems
i am bringing home some heat shrink wrap for electrical wire i was going to use on the
end of the probe, and over the wire. and heat shrink it over both, to elimnate the moisture
i thought it would be a good idea as it seems all the problems encounters are due
to moisture.
is this a bad idea?
I don't know the temp that the heat wrap can take but there may be times that you may want to use it in a BBQ or oven. Per their site, the probes are rated to 716 degrees. If your heat wrap is less then you are limiting the capability versus using a high temp sealant.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

bille

Thanks for the replies guys, I just ordered the unit. ;D

TedEbear

Quote from: bille on December 08, 2011, 10:48:30 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, I just ordered the unit. ;D

I think you'll really like it.  It has some nice features. 

I have mine set to alert me if the cooking chamber temp drops below 175*F, indicating a heating element failure, or if it climbs above 250*F, indicating a fire.  I just set the receiver on my nightstand when doing an overnight pork shoulder smoke and I know it'll wake me if there's a problem.

squirtthecat

Ditto.

My advice would be to get some real batteries for it..    A low battery can cause all kinds of crazy behavior in both the transmitter and the receiver.

viper125

Not sure on covering wires with any thing that could possibly get condensation in it. I love mine and also use it to watch heat drop and rise in case of bad element or fire. But I do not sleep while smoking unless I have some one helping.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

bille

Just wanted to give an update on my maverick, I absolutely love it. There is a slight learning curve but that is no real issue. I have used it on several smokes now and I am thrilled to have it, I knew nothing about it and many other things as well till I found this forum. I have learned so much from the great folks that come here.

Indy Smoker

Ok I'll go ahead and say it . . . . . .

We told you so !!

Glad you like it and are a happy smoker !!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Indy Smoker on January 05, 2012, 07:46:54 PM
Ok I'll go ahead and say it . . . . . .

We told you so !!

Glad you like it and are a happy smoker !!
;D
Mike

beefmann

Quote from: bille on January 04, 2012, 01:51:42 PM
Just wanted to give an update on my maverick, I absolutely love it. There is a slight learning curve but that is no real issue. I have used it on several smokes now and I am thrilled to have it, I knew nothing about it and many other things as well till I found this forum. I have learned so much from the great folks that come here.

love my et 732 as well.. congrats on the use of it,,,, yes there are a lot of good folks here .. most to all are willing to help if they can