• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

A Bit Confused

Started by itchybeard, December 08, 2011, 04:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itchybeard

Hi All.
After curing and smoking fish for a while I thought I will have a go at curing and smoking some bacon. The recipes on here are brilliant and can't wait to give them a go.
I understand the importance of the dry cure ratio with nitrites as compared to just using salt but where I am getting a bit confused is the IT point.
A lot of recipes state an IT of 150 deg f for bacon (belly bacon) at this temperature will it be fully cooked? I am looking for an IT which will allow me to slice, freeze then fry up in the pan later. Or do I just cold smoke it?
Another point on Canadian Ham at an IT of 150 deg f once cooled can you eat it straight from the fridge without reheating?
I am busy curing some Canadian Ham and bacon at present so your information will be greatly greatly appreciated.
I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks in anticipation.
Happy Smoking ><((((((o>~~~~~
Itchy

Just coming dear...:D

viper125

I prefer 140-142 for a raw and need to be fried. I like 150-154 if I can fry or choose to eat cold. My self I always do 150-152 seems to be wifes favorite. 152 is safe for all cured pork for me. Even Canadian Bacon. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

FLBentRider

I agree with viper, I take my belly bacon into the 140's, since I am always going to fry it anyway.

Canadian or back bacon I do to 147-150F.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

For belly bacon I take it to around 150 even though you are still most likely going to fry it.  As for Canadian Bacon I take that to 145 as it is good to go to be eaten.  The major difference for me is belly bacon has loads of fat and while technically is edible at 150, the texture and mouth feel is off putting for me.  The Canadian Bacon should be 100% meat or minimal fat if the loin was trimmed correctly prior to the curing/smoking sessions and is edible without additional frying although you can fry it.

This is my personal opinion but what do I know?  I just totally ruined a batch of smoked sausage.  Others much smarter than me will be along to give you much better advice.

Habanero Smoker

Belly bacon that is smoke/cooked to 150°F, can be sliced, stored and it fries up well. It takes less time to crisp it up, which I like when making a sweet bacon. At 140°F bacon is fully cooked; also and I find that will take a little longer to crisp up. I usually will smoke/cook to 140°F when I make savory types of bacon. Whether fully cooked or not; frying brings it to your desired texture (crispness).

As for Canadian bacon, I only take that to 140 - 142°F, and yes it can be eaten out of the refrigerator, or also sliced and fried.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jiggerjams

140 F eh?? So that's where I messed up.  ::) I went to 150F.  Lesson learned ;D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: jiggerjams on December 10, 2011, 12:15:13 AM
140 F eh?? So that's where I messed up.  ::) I went to 150F.  Lesson learned ;D

Are you referring to the bellies or back (Canandian) bacon?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

itchybeard

Thanks everyone for your replies it makes sense. I know what to do now.
I knew I could rely on you.
The loins have finished curing and the bacon is well underway.

Cheers
Itchy

itchybeard

Hi All here are the results of my first Canadian Bacon and Belly Bacon. The belly bacon is Maple cured but not smoked but now I have confidence I have bought another pork belly this time to cure and smoke also to taste the difference.
I must admit the Canadian and belly bacon taste great.

I gave a little to my wife and daughter to try.......chunks keep disappearing lol.

Bacon, Maple cured

Canadian bacon after curing.

Canadian Bacon just after smoking, I will have to Vac Pac quick its disappearing...

Thanks again guys this is possible because of you.

Cheers.
Itchy

viper125

Looks Great! Love Bacon candy!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

SiFumar

jiggerjams

Just getting back to this post. Habs I was talking about CB. Thanks for the support.

Quarlow

You know really, you should not make CBB. It just evaporates. I had a 2lb piece in the fridge that kept getting smaller and smaller but when I said "who has been eating it" no one said anything. I think it is a flaw in the recipe. Habs really needs to work on that. LOL.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

mrphilips

hey guys, i have a question...

the first time i made belly bacon, i cooked to an IT of 150, as that's what the recipe stated.
it was truly awesome, but it seemed to my wife and i to be more like ham, in that it is far more cooked than the essentially raw stuff that comes in the packages at the grocery store.
the last time i made it, i cold smoked it and it came out much more raw, and therefore more familiar.

the "cooked" type allowed the skin to be more easily peeled off... but at a loss of one whole-side of smoke-penetration. when i did it raw i took the skin off first... more work, but more smoke-penetrated.

there were also slicing differences when i went to package it up... i have only knives, no home-slicer, so my pieces come out like a kid carving a loaf of bread - paper-thin on one end and 1/2" on the other, but i call that "rustic". either way, i find the raw-type more easy to slice thinly, but less easy to slice with any uniformity.

so other than those two factors - and the fact that my wife and i just generally preferred the pan-fried raw-type slightly better - what's the reason to pre-cook? if you're vaccuum sealing, freezing and frying, i don't see the major advantage but maybe i'm missing something...

FLBentRider

I've always smoked it to at least 145F, Living in FL, it is difficult to keep the temps in the "safe zone" (under 40F)

You might want to try partially freezing the belly after smoking and then slice. Try 30-45 minutes in the freezer. It may need more, but there is a fine line between "just right" and "too much" - I used to do this with raw beef for jerky. Now I do nuggets instead, much easier.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!