Taking a poll

Started by viper125, December 09, 2011, 05:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

HERE IS THE DEAL! My wife wants me to do two hams  pretty quick here. She wants one sometime before Christmas 22-23 probably. needs to speak to a few more people. Then she wants a second one done for a party on the 7th. Well I told her how much work and worry that would be. But she insists on having me make them. So I said ok! So I thought it would be fun to get some opinions before doing. She wants me to honey glaze them like a honey baked ham. So I have a glaze to try. So Now for the questions.

Ok figure 2 - 10-12 lb. hams Doing them about 1 week apart.

1.) What is every ones favorite ham cure?
2.) Time frame for doing?
3.) I have some 36" cotton stockinette's will that be good or to big? Not sure what size hams will fit these.

Ok if you were doing this what would your game plan be?. Also any tips or comments will be helpful and appreciated!

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

beefmann

1) 1 Tbl. Morton Tender Quick (or Basic Dry Cure) per pound
    1 tsp. dark brown sugar per pound
    1 tsp. garlic powder per pound
    1 tsp. onion powder per pound

2) 5 days

3) not sure if the stockinetes  would work, you  could always put the cured ham directly on the racks.

you may also want to try brown sugar dusting after the  smoking process and once the meat has a lil bit of a crust on it. if you  are  cooking and smoking at the  same time ,.,, then  throw on the brown  sugar 30 minutes after the smoking  has  stopped,,,, and 2  or 3 more times  during the cooking process

Habanero Smoker

My game plan would be to go to the recipe site and choose one of the two ham curing recipes or do one of each.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

devo

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 10, 2011, 01:40:04 PM
My game plan would be to go to the recipe site and choose one of the two ham curing recipes or do one of each.  :)

Yup what Hab said. It's always worked for me

viper125

Thanks Beefmann, But wanting to try a liquid brine since Its going to have a bone,I think.LOL

Quote from: beefmann on December 10, 2011, 09:06:16 AM
1) 1 Tbl. Morton Tender Quick (or Basic Dry Cure) per pound
    1 tsp. dark brown sugar per pound
    1 tsp. garlic powder per pound
    1 tsp. onion powder per pound

2) 5 days

3) not sure if the stockinetes  would work, you  could always put the cured ham directly on the racks.

you may also want to try brown sugar dusting after the  smoking process and once the meat has a lil bit of a crust on it. if you  are  cooking and smoking at the  same time ,.,, then  throw on the brown  sugar 30 minutes after the smoking  has  stopped,,,, and 2  or 3 more times  during the cooking process
Inside setup.

viper125

Well i was just thinking the same thing myself. I see Tenpoints and Habs. I think I will use theirs with a little flavor substitution. Maybe Honey for maple. Brown Sugar for Dextrose and white sugar. Going to be served in sandwiches cold. So thought while it was still warm from smoking I would mix Honey with Brown sugar and fruit juices. Pack on hot ham and brown with a torch and keep repeating till I get a good thick crust. Then cool and refrigerate in wrapping for 3-4 DAYS BEFORE SLICING. Hoping a 36 inch net will allow me to hang in smoker.

Whats the biggest ham you can get in to a OBS? Anyone know?
Inside setup.

SamuelG

I have done both, make on of each!!!😃😃😃

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

cathouse willy

Here's a plus for the Hab recipe.This started out as an 11lb leg.Just out of the smoker. Its's a while from start to dinner day prep but well worth it I used a rack in the center spot and had room to spare all around.

Habanero Smoker

The one I did around Thanksgiving was a whole bone-in ham. It started around 21 pounds and after trimming it was close to 18 pounds. I remove the skin and most surface fat. It still fit on the rack, though I had to tie it in a few places to keep it from rubbing up against the door. Since you will be working with 10 - 12 pounds each, either will easily fit on a rack.

Be careful with the torch. After seeing that on one of the Foodnetwork show I tried it. The sugar will go from caramelize to burnt in a second. If you have a torch nozzle that will spread the flame out, that is better to use.

Also the last time I cured a ham  I reduced the salt amount to 7 ounces. The test piece tasted good, but I haven't tasted it since. I had to freeze it, and will be using it this Christmas. So you may want to consider only using 7 ounce of salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: viper125 on December 10, 2011, 03:03:15 PM

OBS cabinet is the same size as the DBS4 and I know Hamzilla was 28 pounds when she went in there
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

viper125

Quote from: SamuelG on December 10, 2011, 03:18:35 PM

Well I've done the dry brine on a lot of butt hams deboned and in smaller pieces. So want to do the wet brine.So will probably do just that. One of each

SamuelG
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 11, 2011, 01:40:44 AM
The one I did around Thanksgiving was a whole bone-in ham. It started around 21 pounds and after trimming it was close to 18 pounds. I remove the skin and most surface fat. It still fit on the rack, though I had to tie it in a few places to keep it from rubbing up against the door. Since you will be working with 10 - 12 pounds each, either will easily fit on a rack.

Be careful with the torch. After seeing that on one of the Foodnetwork show I tried it. The sugar will go from caramelize to burnt in a second. If you have a torch nozzle that will spread the flame out, that is better to use.

Also the last time I cured a ham  I reduced the salt amount to 7 ounces. The test piece tasted good, but I haven't tasted it since. I had to freeze it, and will be using it this Christmas. So you may want to consider only using 7 ounce of salt.

OK Thanks Hab I'll remember that!

cathouse willy

Wow beautiful Ham!

Quote from: SamuelG on December 10, 2011, 03:18:35 PM

Bet both were good. I have been receiving a lot of that.
SamuelG

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 11, 2011, 07:13:52 AM
Quote from: viper125 on December 10, 2011, 03:03:15 PM

OBS cabinet is the same size as the DBS4 and I know Hamzilla was 28 pounds when she went in there

Ha Ha Ha Well Ten point that is what I read. Didn't now what smoker you used though. Man that thing was amazing. I first thought about doing one real big. But when it come up it was over 2 weeks between dinners I know it wouldn't keep in fridge and really didn't want to freeze and unthaw so soon either. So I figure 2 hams and start the second one soon after finishing the first one. Then freeze left overs.

Well Thanks everyone for all the info and encouragement as always. I can't even fool the wife into thinking how much work this is anymore. She knows how much I enjoy doing it and the pride I take in it. I am Blessed to have her. She even helps all she can even though she eats very little meat any more. She still enjoys a little. She is also a enabler who not only picks up things she thinks i need but asks for a grocery or meat order every time she goes to the store. How great is that?
Inside setup.