• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First bacon attempt

Started by Water101, December 10, 2011, 12:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Water101

Well bought the smoker about 10 days ago and knew my first attempt at smoking was going to be bacon.

I used the Bradley maple cure recipe. Cured for about 7 days and it seemed ready to go. I dried it for 1.5 hours and then did a cooler smoke of about 110 to 120 smoke for about 2 and a quarter hours. It now has been about 1 hour at 150 as per the directions. I am using a mix of maple and mesquite pucks to give it a really smoky flavour. The color is starting to change and look good. I done some rotations so all the meat gets in all the different locations in the smoker. I should add I did 12 bellies of about 2.5 to 3 pounds each.

I was wondering what internal temperature I should take them out at. I plan to fry the bacon before eating it. I am planning on slicing it and freezing it tomorrow after it has set up over night in the fridge.

Any insight any one has would be great.

Thanks
Water

FLBentRider

I would take it to 145-150F IT.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Water101

So after 2 to 3 hours of smoking at 150 degrees if the IT is not in that ranger would I leave the smoke of and just continue to cook it slowly at that tempature

Habanero Smoker

I generally will increase the temperature to 160°F after applying the smoke. With your load, I would go up to 170°F, but continue to rotate the racks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Water101

I'll give that a go. Right now there at about 117 degrees and look and smell great. I expect about another couple of hours to go before I get to pull them. A couple are a little thicker so I may leave them in a little longer.

Thanks

SiFumar

Don't forget we like pictures!

Habanero Smoker

Another option; which many members do is to take them out at an internal temperature of 140°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Water101

I will do my best to find the camera and upload some pictures.

So I'm right to turn the smoke off after 3 hours of 150 degree smoke on top of the 2 plus hours of 115 degree smoke and just finish them with heat.

Water101

Water101

OK how do you add pictures, I clicked on insert image but got no options

Water101

Here are some pictures I hope

Water

devo

That is one heck of a load of pork belly's you got there. Looking good so far.

Water101

I had a small thin piece I cut off of one of the bellies to make them all around the same size and I just sampled it as it was very thin, Taste is really good, very smoky. Will the smokiness increase or decrease in the fridge over night.

SiFumar

Wow you sure went all out for your first attempt! Looks great.  I personally think it mellows out some, and distributes thru it nicely.

Water101

Pictures of the finished product before the rest and then the slice.

Water