buckboard bacon cure on pork belly

Started by RFT, December 10, 2011, 06:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFT

OK, I have go two 11.5lbs slabs of  pork belly. Using the Hi Mountain Buckboard Bacon Cure, instructions say to use one pound of cure PER 25 Lbs of meat.    What is the breakdown per pound for pork belly?

Thanks

Not a math wiz
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

Habanero Smoker

You need to provide us with better information such as the name of the cure, if the percentage of the cure is listed, and need to know if those directions are for a dry or wet cure method. That is very important to know, because the amount of nitrites use in a wet cure is much higher, than what is used for dry curing. Also look to see if it safe something like bacon/ham cure.

If using a dry cure method, I would cut the butts into 2 - 3-inch slabs, or at least in half.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RFT

Opps.  Sorry habs.   Using buckboard Bacon cure. 
N.P.

Habanero Smoker

Are the directions for dry cure or for wet cure?

The conversion for dry curing only would be to convert both the cure and meat into ounces; then divide the weight of the cure, by the weight of the meat.

1 lb./cure = 16 oz/cure
25 lb./meat = 400 oz/meat

16 ÷ 400 = .04 oz/lb

If the curing directions are for use for a wet curing method, then do not use the above formula.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

RFT

Thank you so much Habs. :)

Its for Dry Cure
N.P.

Habanero Smoker

Great! Though it seems like a small amount to try to spread evenly on the bellies, so I just got off their site, and their directions are 1 tablespoon + 1-1/4 teaspoons per pound (4-1/4 teaspoons); which has to be more than .04 oz. So you should follow their instructions. Though I would be curious to know what the actual weight per pound is.

So use the following formula instead:

1lb. of cure ÷ 25 lbs of meat = .04lb cure/per lb of met

.04  x 16oz = .64 oz. to use per pound

Directions for High Mountain Buckboard Bacon Cure

Now I have to figure out why the first formula didn't work.

I
         don't
                   inhale.