• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Jalapeno Swiss SS

Started by OU812, December 12, 2011, 04:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Ive been busy huntin, cleanin and prosessing deer for the last month (still got 2 more tags to fill myself) and aint had much time to do any thing that has to do with sausage. Then wile climbing outta the woods Sat night the land owners son asked if I could make him some SS for this coming weekend. I said you got the meat ready? Yep he said 60/40 course ground just like you wanted.

Seein this was on short notice I used a premix from Frisco Spices and doctor it up a bit.  ;D

The seasonings mixed in 1 1/2 cup distilled water, cure in 1/4 cup distilled water and 1/4 cup jalapeno juice.

Got 12 lb 60% deer to 40% pork butt.

Added 1.2 lb jalapenos.

Mixed up a bit.

Ran that through the grinder, beats the heck outta chopping them.  ;D

Added the seasonings, cure and juice.

Then 1.2 lb swiss.

Mixed up good, about 5 min.

The casings have been in warm salted water (just enough so ya can taste the salt) for about an hr now,,thats the first thing I do when gettin ready to make sausage.

Now the fun begins.

My hog ring pliers with the $20 rubber band. If you buy the pliers that are spring loaded there $20 more than the cheep ones.

Break time.  ;D

Here we go!

Eight 1 1/2 lb chubs and one 2 lb SS stick.

Let hang at room temp wile I clean up my mess and then into the warmed up smoker.

Let dry for an hr at 120 then bump up to 130 and start the smoke and bump the temp up 10 degrees every hr till 170 and hold there till the IT hits 152. Smoked for 3 hr with Pecan.

Ready for an ice bath.

There hangin in the fridge now to firm up a bit. Ill slice into the SS stick tomarrow night. I like to let them hang for at least 48 hr or till there as firm as I like before removing the casings.

Man does the meat fridge smell gooood.  :o

Keymaster

Those look Killer Curt, nice Job!!!

viper125

Looking good! Hows that pecan I've never had it. Also is that pepper juice pickled? If not where did you find it at.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

OU812

Quote from: viper125 on December 12, 2011, 04:33:43 PM
Looking good! Hows that pecan I've never had it. Also is that pepper juice pickled? If not where did you find it at.

Pecan is like a mellow version of hickory with a slight nutty flavor,,,,to me anyway.

Its all I use when doin sausage,,,,,,,,,heck its my wood of choice for most things ground.  ;D

The juice is form the jar of pickled jalapenos, fresh jalapenos just dont do it for me in sausage.

SouthernSmoked

DANG Curt.....'em SS look awesome!!!

Break Time!!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Sailor

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

KyNola

Very very nicely done Curt!  That looks awesome.

OU812

Cant wait to dig into my SS stick tonight, the chubs are his.

Every time I opened the fridge last night it smelled soooooooooooo good in there. 

NePaSmoKer

Really nice buddy.

May i have a few slices and a few chugs right from the bottle  ;D

OU812

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 13, 2011, 07:37:19 AM
Really nice buddy.

May i have a few slices and a few chugs right from the bottle  ;D

Any time.

Gonna have some on a Ritz along with a few shots tonight, gotta get a new bottle though, that one didnt make it through the weekend.  ::)

If ya leave now ya might get here by the time I get home.  ;D

Sam3

Looks great! High temp Swiss?

Quarlow

They look great, but my hooter started to burn just looking at the list of ingredients.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

Quote from: Sam3 on December 13, 2011, 09:04:48 AM
Looks great! High temp Swiss?

Yep. I get it here locally. Theres no wax or other crap in it to make it high temp, its partly dehydrated cheese to keep it from melting.

OU812

Got my chores done and time to dig in.

Wet my whisle and get the rest packaged and ready to go.

All the casings off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,supprised know body caught me,,,,,,,,,,,theres 10 chubs.  ::)

Wrapping,,,,,,,,,,,time for a break.  ;D

All wrapped and ready for the freezer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,cheers.

The flavor is great and they are very moist with just the right amount of firmness and an outer crust with just the right amount of bite to it.

OH YA!

Keymaster

Nice job, looks excellent and thats gonna be one happy Son of a Land owner ;D