Smoking a 22# Ham and 24# Ham this Weekend!

Started by Arrow'em and Smoke'em, December 14, 2011, 04:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Wat too HIGH TECH fer me But them hams is gonna take 40 hours I just have a feeling. Having been there done that way too many times!! ;D ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

I can keep track of mine too. Check this baby out. :D :eek:

Just messing. Cool toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

love the smoke

OMG !!!!!

Its ET meets Franken oinker

My ham (the 22#'r) will be going in the smoker bright and early tomorrow morning

I will start my own post soon

LTS
LTS

jiggerjams

Nice hunka meat and the PID looks cool too. Like my buddy says when we click glasses and/or bottles, " See ya tomorrow"

CLAREGO

wt  :o :o :o be care full that think might turn on you next thing you know you will be flying through a matrixs of 1 and o's

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Arrow'em and Smoke'em

DeltaV system is rockin. Temperature held +/- 1.5 degrees for 12-hours at 120-degrees to dry the ham down before applying the smoke. The internal temp of the ham after starting at 35-degrees and hanging 12-hours in 120-degrees was 98-degrees. Bumped the smoker temperature up to 140-degrees at 6:30 am
this morning and now applying 8-hours of hickory smoke. 4-hours, 1/2 way, through the smoking phase the internal temp is up to 110-degrees. The temp of the smoker is fluctuating +/- 2-3 degrees of the 140-degree setpoint. I think this is due to the puck feeder heat and the pucks burning creating extra heat. The PID control on the DeltaV is handling it well and I can see, on the chart historian, the duty cycle of the heating element is moving around at the 20-minute rate of the puck feeder.....kinda cool in a nerdy way.

Here is the ham 1/2 way through the smoke phase.

Arrow'em and Smoke'em

Below are a couple shots of the DeltaV screens, graphical and chart historian. A couple of the changes in the "red" chart are when I opened the door but the gradual roller-coaster changes are at the same interval as the pucks burning, creating more heat, requiring less heating element to maintain the smoker temp.

love the smoke

Hey where is that Franken Oinker at

Wheres the money shot ?

LTS
LTS

Arrow'em and Smoke'em

Money Shot Below.......couple more degrees and I am pulling it :)

DeltaV screen below, looking pretty close

Tenpoint5

Arrow I urge you to do the same taste test I told LTS about in the other ham thread.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Arrow'em and Smoke'em

Sounds like a good plan 10.5, This is my first ham so thanks for the input!
Wife and kids want to eat some of this for dinner today.....think it will be ok or should I leave it in the fridge over night???

love the smoke

You better take a pic of the first slice (money shot) oh and eat some good ol fat slice like 10.5 said
LTS

love the smoke

Quote from: love the smoke on December 18, 2011, 06:54:44 AM
You better take a pic of the first slice (money shot) oh and eat some good ol fat slice like 10.5 said

I think it will taste amazing if you like it on the Smoky salty side but the overnight soak will "blend" all the flavors
LTS

Tenpoint5

Like LTS said you can eat it tonight or at the rate your going you can slice some off for lunch today. It will be on the smokey salty side but wrap the rest in plastic wrap and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Like LTS said the flavors will blend and settle down. But you have to get the taste tester right out of the smoker.