• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Doubled the capacity of the BDS 4 rack

Started by KyNola, December 18, 2011, 08:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

I just installed the rail system to convert my BDS 4 rack to a 8 rack.

You can see the new rails in the pic.  They are nice and shiny.  The original rails are 2 inches below the new shiny ones.  You can't see the original rails very well because they are black with smoke.  I have 8 of the Bradley jerky racks with frogmats that will fit nicely.  Should be able to do about 9 lbs of pistachios at a time with rack rotation.

viper125

Looking good. Nice Job Ky Nola! Just bought 8 racks going for a total of 12 on mine. Did you use aluminum on yours or steel for the racks?
I'm having a lot of problem making enough Jerky to Keep these Kentucky hillbilly's Happy! LOL  (My relatives) Also me and the kids. Hope the extra racks help!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

CoreyMac

Very cool upgrade, I'd like to do that myself. Up to now I've been flipping racks one on top of the other, but if your not careful sticks can roll off :(

What type of screws did you use to fasten the extra slides?

viper125

Good question? I'm wondering also. I was thinking of 1/2 metal screws but since have wondered why not just pop rivet it.
Inside setup.

KyNola

I actually purchased the rail system from another forum member but I'm pretty sure they are aluminum.  The screws are 4mm hex head metal screws but I'm sure pop rivets would work too.

Tenpoint5

Looks good Larry now you can put them sausage sticks up a wee bit higher in there as well
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

CoreyMac

Quote from: viper125 on December 18, 2011, 09:11:43 AM
Good question? I'm wondering also. I was thinking of 1/2 metal screws but since have wondered why not just pop rivet it.

Yup, thats what i'm going to do, pop rivets, excellent idea. Cool, now I have one more little project to do over christmas break. ;D

Quarlow

I think I will put the rails in too. I will pop rivet also. except I just had the last four days of cause of a real bad flu so I am going to have to work every day I can get, even the 24th. This sux.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

Niiiiiice.

Wont be long and theyll look just like the original ones.

devo

If your going to use pop rivets make sure you use a soft rivet that will break easily, the inside walls of the bradely are paper thin and your pop rivets can and will just rip the hole bigger. Been there done it  >:(

CoreyMac

Quote from: devo on December 18, 2011, 02:21:59 PM
If your going to use pop rivets make sure you use a soft rivet that will break easily, the inside walls of the bradely are paper thin and your pop rivets can and will just rip the hole bigger. Been there done it  >:(

I have some I used from another project that have the aluminum head and stud, they snap real easy. Another good reason to use a rivet IMO, I would think over time a screw may loosen and wollow out the hole they made. Hopefully a rivet will stay in longer.

viper125

Well I took a  lock of wood on the table saw with my narrowest blade. Cut 4 slots equally and will use that to keep them aligned while I drill holes. Original ledges are 4 " apart. Not sure on what i'll use for the ledge yet. Between bending sheet metal or cutting c-channel in half. Looks like 8" long is about right.
Inside setup.

SiFumar

Wish I had a "handy" man around the house.

viper125

Quote from: SiFumar on December 18, 2011, 03:02:02 PM
Wish I had a "handy" man around the house.

Well with all my time if you were closer I would offer to help.
Inside setup.