• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Modifications Done

Started by kickedback, December 18, 2011, 05:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickedback

I finally got around to finishing up all the mods to the OBS. I started a couple weeks ago, but had to take a break to get ice fishing gear around. Warmer temps put me back to original task, no ice yet. I did the dual element mod with dual temp sensors for an extra safety measure. Did the circulation fan mod with 2 1/2 inch fan blade. Replaced the front faceplate that was cracked and added the front feet pegs to the bottom. My only question is, Do I have to run auto-tune for the Auber PID to compensate for the dual elements? and with or without fan on? Guess that's 2 questions. I'm ready to do some jerky to give the fan circulation a try.

devo

QuoteDo I have to run auto-tune for the Auber PID to compensate for the dual elements?
I never did with mine and found that every temp probe I put in there to compare temps it's almost right on +or- a few degrees

TedEbear

Quote from: kickedback on December 18, 2011, 05:22:16 PMMy only question is, Do I have to run auto-tune for the Auber PID to compensate for the dual elements? and with or without fan on?

If the PID is currently programmed to maintain a certain temp based on a 500W element and it is suddenly controlling twice that amount I recommend running the auto tune so it can relearn certain parameters.  Run the auto tune with the fan on, if that's how you you will be using the smoker.

kickedback

Should I have the smoker loaded with meat? I think I read somewhere that this is how to run the auto tune with meat in smoker. I have some GB Jerky to do anyways,to test everything out. Thanks for your input.

TestRocket

kickedback

I good while back right after I did the second element mod I came across a post that said all you had to do is change ?P? value in the PID to 140.

Its initial settings are:
?P? = 70
?I? = 600
?D? = 150

So change the ?P? value and leave the others alone and you will be good. This is how I have my PID setup and it?s almost always within + or ? 1 deg.  ;D

*** This is only for adding the second 500 watt element.

TedEbear

Quote from: kickedback on December 19, 2011, 02:31:32 PM
Should I have the smoker loaded with meat? I think I read somewhere that this is how to run the auto tune with meat in smoker. I have some GB Jerky to do anyways,to test everything out. Thanks for your input.

Yes, you're supposed to have something in the cooking chamber to simulate a load of meat.  I wrapped several cold bricks in aluminum foil and stuck them on different racks.