• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ham, Roast beef, chicken cured for sandwiches (Cold cuts)

Started by cgaengineer, December 18, 2011, 06:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgaengineer

Anyone make their own cold cuts for sandwiches? I am interested in curing some large cut to slice paper thin to make cold cuts...I am wanting to extend shelf life by curing. Any suggestions?
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

jiggerjams

I have smoked turkey boulders after looking at some of STC's posts. They turn out delicious!!

micman

If you are talking about dry curing, I picked up a book by Michael Ruhlam ( Charcuterie), also Rytek Kutas 4th edition has a good section on curing. But it all boils down to the right temp and humidity over a period of time to get the meat to where you want it. Also google, How to cure meat at home, Wrightfood. It explains how to make a cure box really good

Hope this helps a little, or at least sends you i the right direction.

Mick

cgaengineer

Quote from: micman on December 19, 2011, 11:27:57 PM
If you are talking about dry curing, I picked up a book by Michael Ruhlam ( Charcuterie), also Rytek Kutas 4th edition has a good section on curing. But it all boils down to the right temp and humidity over a period of time to get the meat to where you want it. Also google, How to cure meat at home, Wrightfood. It explains how to make a cure box really good

Hope this helps a little, or at least sends you i the right direction.

Mick

That book is one of my Christmas gifts this year...I've been winging it until now!

I didn't know cold cuts were dry cured? I'm going to research the topic a bit and see what I find. Thank you.
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

cgaengineer

Quote from: jiggerjams on December 19, 2011, 07:53:33 PM
I have smoked turkey boulders after looking at some of STC's posts. They turn out delicious!!

I'll look up those posts and see if I can learn something.

KyNola

Quote from: cgaengineer on December 20, 2011, 03:30:55 AM
Quote from: jiggerjams on December 19, 2011, 07:53:33 PM
I'll look up those posts and see if I can learn something.
Very easy to do.  Apply your favorite rub, smoke at 250F until an IT of 153-155.  Wrap in foil and let rest in a microwave oven(do not turn on) for a couple hours.  During this rest period the IT will cruise on up to 160.  Then place in the frig for a day or so to let the smoke evenly distribute.  Slice and store per your requirements.   

Habanero Smoker

In the sausage section you will find recipes for baloney, semi-dried cotto and emulsified sausages.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Greenbasterd58

i think most whole meat coldcuts(ham,turkey,chickenbreast are brined in fridge then maybe smoked. and all dried stuff like salami, pepperoni, perciuto, and all the really good stuff is dry cured at 15c 60-70%RH untell it looses 30% of its water weight

cgaengineer

This is more along the lines of what I was asking about.