• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Just gonna bounce an idea off you guys

Started by frepar, December 22, 2011, 05:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frepar

anybody ever looked at constructing a magnetically driven fan?

i would think that a guy could move enough air with magnets on the base of the fan that are opposed to the magnets on the blade itself.... that way you could stick it on the inside of the bradley wherever it fits... and you dont have to punch holes in the back...

is it even possible?   

I'm doin the additional element this weekend and would like to do a fan of sorts... but still havin a hard time mounting something on the outside of my bradley

TomW

Wouldn't a magnetic fan only work around non-magnetic materials?
I may not know much about cooking, but I know lots about eating...

beefmann

frepar

good idea if the bradley .. i believe  the bradley is magnetic

ankorklankor

The wall where the fan is mounted would have to be made of nonferrous material before this would work.
Relax don't worry, have a home brew.

squirtthecat

Ok, I'll bite..   What is a "magnetic fan"?

--

And I thought the inside walls of the Bradley are Stainless Steel..   Not sure what grade, though.

Mr Walleye

I believe the interior of the OBS is aluminum and the interior of the DBS is stainless.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

hal4uk

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 22, 2011, 03:58:48 PM
Ok, I'll bite..   What is a "magnetic fan"?
Ok, I'll bite..   What kinda fan AIN'T magnetic?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

frepar

all valid points.... :)

i'm just thinking of a way to get a fan entirely on the inside of a smoker without havin any components that will be affected by the heat.

as far as the turning of the fan... i would assume youd be able to mount the magnets on the blade at an angle so the reverse polarity (i think thats the right term) from magnets on the base would consistantly push the blade...

i forgot that the inside was aluminum..  maybe get a strong enough magnet that it would grip through the insulation and be able to stick to the inside via the casing  :)

Mr Walleye

Maybe you could do a play on this Eco-Fan. It's designed to convert heat into energy which turns the fan. It's designed to sit on a wood stove and circulate air. The hotter the air temp the more circulation.

http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/details/cf_ecofan.php

This particular one is probably to large but it's more the idea.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

frepar

Quote from: Mr Walleye on December 23, 2011, 10:37:36 AM
Maybe you could do a play on this Eco-Fan. It's designed to convert heat into energy which turns the fan. It's designed to sit on a wood stove and circulate air. The hotter the air temp the more circulation.

http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/details/cf_ecofan.php

This particular one is probably to large but it's more the idea.

Mike

actually cabelas has one that i saw... and got my hampster up and runnin... tryin to get that lightbulb to turn on, but i just gotta find time to start tinkering....those buggers arent cheap!!