• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Adding Extra Rack brackets to DBS-4

Started by CoreyMac, December 22, 2011, 08:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreyMac

Today is the last day at the shop before Christmas and I never have much ambition to do any real WORK ;D So I decided to bring my 4 rack in and do the mod for adding extra racks. Just starting now so I was thinking I'll keep posting pics up through out the mod as I go. (boy I must really not want to work) ;D Here is what I am starting with. I stripped the door off to get better access.

More to come ;)

CoreyMac

Decided to use .040" aluminum, its very close to what Bradley uses.

It helps if you have one of these but tin snips would work also, just may take longer.

I just cut some strips to begin. 1 1/8 wide"

More to come

CoreyMac

Cut the long ones into 8 9" long strips

Ran them through the brake to bend the 90Deg

I put a rounded edge on them so they look similar to the factory brackets, plus it takes the sharp corner off.

viper125

Yes
i miss  my shop access to tools. with shears and a break it only takes minutes. I would have started selling them on here. I know I could have made money at half the price they sell them for.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

CoreyMac

Pre-drilled the brackets for rivets.

Just used a tri-square to scribe some lines so everything is level and square. Scibing on the black walls was great, could see the lines easy.

Using 5/32" aluminum rivets

One down and 3 more to go.

Mr Walleye

Very nicely done Corey!  8)

Awesome having that kind of equipment at your disposal too!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

CoreyMac

Got all the brackets riveted in.

Picked these up yesterday

DONE!! Seems like its going to work fine, now I just have to do some smokin so the new brackets match the old ones.

squirtthecat

Hang on, I'll run my OBS over...        ;D

CoreyMac

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 22, 2011, 10:50:37 AM

Hang on, I'll run my OBS over...        ;D

Better hurry I'm here for a little bit longer, how long a walk is it from Illinois to Alberta anyways? ;D

viper125

Did find some .050 Angle at Home depot here. Guess i'll have to buy it bent. really not bad though. It's less then 7.00 for a 8 ft. piece. Yours really looks nice. Great job.
Inside setup.

CoreyMac

Quote from: viper125 on December 22, 2011, 11:21:45 AM
Did find some .050 Angle at Home depot here. Guess i'll have to buy it bent. really not bad though. It's less then 7.00 for a 8 ft. piece. Yours really looks nice. Great job.

Perfect .050" will work fine. The one thing I notice with this mod was the bracket width can only be 5/8" wide. I almost made a whoops but caught it. I made my brackets 3/4" and the racks wouldn't have fit. I cut them down and they worked good.

ghost9mm

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

KyNola

Nice going.  I just installed a similar rail system in mine and really like it.  Even if you are not smoking mass quantities, having 8 positions to place a rack is really nice.

viper125

Quote from: CoreyMac on December 22, 2011, 11:37:34 AM

Perfect .050" will work fine. The one thing I notice with this mod was the bracket width can only be 5/8" wide. I almost made a whoops but caught it. I made my brackets 3/4" and the racks wouldn't have fit. I cut them down and they worked good.

Well it comes in different sizes. I thought 1/2 by 1/2 would probably work goo but haven't measured yet!
Inside setup.

CoreyMac

Quote from: viper125 on December 22, 2011, 02:14:09 PM
Quote from: CoreyMac on December 22, 2011, 11:37:34 AM

Well it comes in different sizes. I thought 1/2 by 1/2 would probably work goo but haven't measured yet!

Yup the 1/2 x1/2 will fit the bill I think.