• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

wife just said i could get a sausage stuffer and grinder.

Started by sparky1, December 22, 2011, 07:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky1

well, i worked all day and now i am painting the inside of our house because my wife's family is coming over the day after xmas.  i don't have to explain it.  your guys and gals are married also.  she comes down the hallway and says that she is happy i am painting and that i could get a sausage stuffer and grinder.  so, what do ya'll suggest. 
26.75 OTG
18.5 WSM

NePaSmoKer

No dont, Run, run away from this sausage stuff, you will be consumed by its power and you will crank sausage in your sleep.

Mmmmzzzzzzmmmzzzzeeerr   More sausage  :o

Need more poke
Need more casings
Need more sausage
Need more n more n more

Save yerself

Oh yeah a LEM 5 Lb and a Cabelas 1/2hp

Run bambi sparky

viper125

Well two routes i think All new and shiny. Not as big or strong as older stuff and more money usually.  I personally like the old and used. My stuffer is a old cast Iron Enterprise and i love it. It will never wear out. Holbart or a comparable grinder will last forever and is repairable. Both are used commercially and strong. You have to watch ads to get a good deal but worth it.  If you want it right away go new. But get good quality what ever you do. Odds are you start and your hooked for life!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

hal4uk

Quote from: sparky1 on December 22, 2011, 07:05:27 PM
well, i worked all day and now i am painting the inside of our house because my wife's family is coming over the day after xmas.  i don't have to explain it.  your guys and gals are married also.  she comes down the hallway and says that she is happy i am painting and that i could get a sausage stuffer and grinder.  so, what do ya'll suggest.
Suggest??
I suggest you keep on painting (seems to be working!!!)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 22, 2011, 07:11:10 PM
No dont, Run, run away from this sausage stuff, you will be consumed by its power and you will crank sausage in your sleep.
Oh yeah a LEM 5 Lb and a Cabelas 1/2hp
Run bambi sparky
Yep, what Rick said.
I tried sausage for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was an epic fail BUT I am hooked.  The LEM 5 lb stuffer that Rick suggested is really good.  Works like a charm.  I have one.  Need to guess who I asked which stuffer I should buy?  My failure was my fault, not the equipment.  I just ordered a 3/8 tube for the LEM 5 lber as I have some sticks I'm waiting to try. 

Spark, Rick knows all about sausage.  Heed NePaSYoda's advice.  Guiding you in all things sausage he will. ;)

SamuelG

Run Forest Run!

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

Smokin Soon

Sausage can be a little bit stressfull the first time with blowouts and learning about casings and all. I thought my wife would help a bit, but she takes a hike when I get out my stuff. I bought my stuffer and grinder from Northern Tool a couple of years ago and has worked well. I only do 5 lb batches at a time. Heck, if you want to take a sausage test drive, just take a 2 hour drive and borrow my stuff.

Sam3

My wife just bought me these for Christmas..

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/4228/sausage-stuffers

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/lem_22_electric_grinder/electric_grinders

I was using an older "The Sausage Maker" electric grinder for a while. The problem is that it has a plastic gear on the Auger and it cracked in half once already. I had a spare, but it's only a matter of time before that goes as well. So.....I upgraded.  ;D

Sailor

Sparky......Heed the warnings.  Stop......do not start making sausage.  Oh sure it starts out innocent enough.  You buy a 5lb stuffer and a grinder....no big deal at all.  Then you start raiding Mamma's spices and then start adding more spices to her spice cabinet and it gets to where she can no longer find the spices that she uses.  Then you start buying mixing lugs and where do you plan on storing them?  In her kitchen?  I don't think so!  Oh sure I know you will only plan to make a few pounds here and there.  That's what we all said.  First you buy a sleeve of 19mm casing for some snack stixs then in the dead of night you start browsing the Internet looking for fibrous casings for summer sausage, then graduate to natural hog and sheep casings.  Then you order a PID to better control the cooking of your Master Pieces.  Then the secret phone calls start, talking in a low voice so the misses can't hear you, asking NEPAS how to make this or adjust this to improve the taste and texture.  OH, yes, I have seen it happen to so many good men.  Their once proud home office that was neat and clean with closets so organized has now been transformed into a sausage store.  There will stainless steel shelving installed to keep your personal spices, grinders, stuffers and casings.  Your beer fridge will be transformed into a curing cabinet.  The 5-pound stuffer will not be able to satisfy your increased craving to make bigger and better loads so you will call Kirby to send you a Kirby Cannon.  Your hands will become sore and cold from hand mixing and your will beg for Kirby to build you a meat mixer.  The doorbell will start ringing with another delivery of sausage stuff but I am positive you will get used to the Misses standing there with hands on hips asking what else you have ordered.  We all have gotten use to this and it no longer bothers us.  Yes, we are now so calloused that we are no longer bothered by this tactic.  Should you not heed the warning and cross over to the dark side we will be waiting.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

pikeman_95

Sparky

Follow the force. Come over to the smokey side. Together we can stuff and smoke the universe.

KyNola

D@mn!  You guys can run with a theme, that's for sure! ;D ;D ;D ;D

sparky1

26.75 OTG
18.5 WSM