• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I'm not CRAZY

Started by Scotty Dog, December 23, 2011, 09:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty Dog

My wife just rolls her eyes when I say I am going to smoke something again.  I think the family is trying to get me into Smokers Rehab after the holidays. I was doing Pork Butts last night and was up till 1 am pulling pork.  I know that does not sound right.  The wife wakes up at 2 am and wants to know why the house smells like something is cooking in the oven.  I just say, go back to sleep, it's just the foil and drippings from my pork.  OK that does not sound right either.  You all know what I mean.  It's a passion not an obsession, right?

squirtthecat

Naw, just a hobby!

Thee are many far more expensive/dangerous hobbies out there...   (and most of them don't result in having plenty of tasty leftovers)

Sailor

Sounds perfectly normal to me.  I don't see nothing wrong with smoking up the house in the wee hours of the morning with either blooming summer sausage, snack sticks, finishing things in the oven or pulling pork.  Heck there is nothing out of the ordinary that I can see.  I think you are perfectly normal.  :o  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

iceman

Heck, the boss lady in my house (er I mean her house) will wake up at five in the morning when I'm pulling the pork roast and make herself a Sammie!  ;D
Sometimes I even thinks she likes me as myself and not just my food!  ::) ;)

ArnieM

You sound normal to me within the context of the 'hobby'.  My wife comes downstairs 3AM and asks why I'm sleeping on the couch.  "I gots ta mop da brisket every 45 minutes."

At first it was the camera and the food pics ...
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ghost9mm

If you go through all the posts on this forum, by inlarge as a group, we all contribute to the absolute given that yes you are normal...it's true....lol...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Wildcat

Quote from: iceman on December 23, 2011, 09:46:49 AM
Heck, the boss lady in my house (er I mean her house) will wake up at five in the morning when I'm pulling the pork roast and make herself a Sammie!  ;D
Sometimes I even thinks she likes me as myself and not just my food!  ::) ;)

Could it possibly be the carrots and food and she lets you think whatever you want?  ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

hal4uk

Yup.  You're crazy as a bat. 
Maybe even nuttier that that guy who traded me these amazing magic beans for my old milking cow. 
You're just plumb nuts.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

PapaC

Heh, heh, I had to chuckle seeing you ask that question on this forum.  :o     As has been said, keep up the good work! When pork needs to be pulled, it doesn't matter if it's 1 AM, a man's got to do what a man's got to do! Perfectly normal!
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

La Quinta

I am Going with Catman, Ice...it's the veggies... ;D

muebe

Staying up until 2am to finish pulling pork is not crazy...

Now pulling it at 2am while in a neighbour's house that you do not know... That is crazy!
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

iceman

Quote from: La Quinta on December 24, 2011, 12:03:25 AM
I am Going with Catman, Ice...it's the veggies... ;D

You two are brutal!  :o  ;D
At least I know for sure the mutts only like me for the food  ::)
Now the boss is on a seafood kick (Pearls)!!!  :o  >:(  ;)

Mr Walleye

Yup!

Your....... normal!  ;)

At least as normal as the rest of us!  :o  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

La Quinta

Sweet...I love oysters Ice... ;D  ;D

Caneyscud

Scotty Dog - just insert your name where appropriate!

My name is Scud  --  CaneyScud!  I am an addict to low and slow and here is my story!  First brisket, then ribs, then lox and then sausage ? where does it end?  Moinkballs?  Nope, there is always FATTIES!!  At the time no cure was wanted, unless it was No. 1 or No 2, just more toys and more meat.  Even a family sized tea-bag would not work here!

It started out innocently enough. I began to smoke now and then to loosen up. Inevitably though, one polite smoke led to another, and soon I was more than just a social smoker.

I began to smoke alone - "to relax," I told myself - but I knew it wasn't true. Smoking became more and more important to me, and finally I was smoking all the time.

The first smoke led to another, then another, then another, until ---well it was too many, under threat one had to go to the office.  That was a mistake of titanic proportions ? more people to feed more smoked goodies to.  The ole thin blue pull had me wrapped around it!

I began to smoke at the office.  I knew that smoking and employment don't mix, but I couldn't stop myself. I began to invite friends at lunchtime so I could force ribs, butt, brisket, even moinkballs on them.  I would return to my desk dizzied and confused, asking, "What is it exactly we are doing here?"

Things weren't going so great at home either. One evening I had turned off the TV and asked my wife about the meaning of BARBECUE!  She spent that night at her mother's.

I soon had a reputation as a heavy smoker. One day the boss called me in. He said, "Caney, I like you, and it hurts me to say this, but your smoking has become a real problem. If you don't stop smoking on the job, you'll have to find another job." This gave me a lot to think about.

I came home early after my conversation with the boss. "Honey, " I confessed, "I've been smoking..." "I know you've been smoking," she said, "and I want a divorce!" "But Honey, surely it's not that serious." "It is serious," she said, lower lip aquiver. "You smoke as much as any BBQ redneck, and BBQ rednecks don't make any money, so if you keep on smoking we won't have any money!" "That's a faulty syllogism," I said impatiently, and she began to cry. I'd had enough. "I'm going to the Meat Market," I snarled as I stomped out the door.

I headed for the Meat Market, in the mood for a pulled clod sandwich. Listening to a Country station on the radio, I roared into the parking lot and ran up to the big glass doors... they didn't open. The Meat Market was closed. Later, I realized that a Higher Power was looking out for me that night. As I sank to the ground clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering for the comfort of mesquite, a poster caught my eye. "Friend, is heavy smoking ruining your life?" it asked. You probably recognize that line. It comes from the standard Smoker's Anonymous poster.

Which is why I am what I am today: a full-fledged, armpit to armpit, sauce stained Bradley Smoker. I have never been to a SA meeting. The poster said that at each meeting they are supposed to watch a non-smoking video; this week it was supposed to be "Jerry Springer" talking about the song "I'm bad" by Michael Jackson. Then they share experiences about how they avoided smoking since the last meeting. I whipped out my iPhone, wiped off the bit of mop sauce of the screen and called the number at the bottom of the poster.  A voice answered ? not a warm live voice but one of those cold computer voices that said the SA meetings had been canceled due to lack of interest.  Seemed no one wanted to be cured. 

Undaunted, I tried to stop cold turkey, but I kept on looking on forums to find a brine recipe and a finishing IT to use on that old turkey.  Life just seemed .. more bland .. without purpose or meaning, somehow, as soon as I stopped smoking, and trying to avoid thoughts about the meaning of barbecue sauce and rubs. I was going crazy I had to do something!   If this kept up, they would put me in the crazy people?s hospital.  So I said enough is enough, H E double hockey sticks, why stop smoking ? I wasn?t hurting anybody.  FREEDOM!!!!! 

Finally now with direction, I could go on with my life.  I learned to control my mesquite smoked, bacon wrapped yearnings (well just a little ? but enough).   I still have my job, and things are a lot better at home and the office. Now I stare for hours at the Computer Screen. and receive my daily dose of brainwashing instead of contemplating the mysteries of ?The Change? (actually, yes both definitions would apply ? the new regime and worse yet, the wife?s).   Just me and my BTDS76P (more lovingly named ? DBS4)  well not just that smoker but a few others also ? one even my wife doesn?t know about.  Yes, she does wonder what that wry little smile means that is on my lips just before falling asleep ? I?ll never tell!

Ye Ode to the Brisket

How oft does want of Brisket doth torture my spirit
Slave of its delicious embrace nothing to do but tend
Like a melancholy malcontent, glistening eyes focused
Hours and times of my desire the plateau doth pass
Nothing but time and precious mesquite can I but offer
Low and slow doth my sweet love?s beauty revealed
Sublime, rouse myself; and the weak wanton hunger
Shall from my bowels unloose its masculine restraint
Not at war, stomach at peace, content in fullness.
Oh mighty Brisket, penchant of memory, smoky perfection.

Have you joined Smoker?s Anonymous yet?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"