Acadian/Canadian Bacon

Started by squirtthecat, December 24, 2011, 10:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

;D

Mixed up some of Hab's Canadian Bacon cure.  And added a Cajun twist to it..

A little taste of Ville Platte. 

A 2.25 and a 2 pound top loin, rubbed up and vacuum sealed for a week in the fridge.

We'll check back next Saturday...  (I'll flip/massage them daily)

Habanero Smoker

Looks good. I just made some using a mild chilli powder. I'm hoping to taste it either today or for breakfast tomorrow.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mrmcdowe

squirtthecat, is there any special reason you vacuum seal instead of using ziplock bags?  It looks much cleaner and easier to put in the refrigerator because those bags rarely leak. 

I might try this next time.

Thanks

squirtthecat

Quote from: mrmcdowe on December 26, 2011, 06:51:54 AM
squirtthecat, is there any special reason you vacuum seal instead of using ziplock bags?  It looks much cleaner and easier to put in the refrigerator because those bags rarely leak. 

I might try this next time.

Thanks

That's exactly why I did that.  I put a double seal down on those bags, so there is no chance of the bags leaking into the lettuce crispers.    I had that happen once with some belly bacon and wow what a smelly mess.

squirtthecat

Time to smoke!

Rinsed and banded up.  (thanks KyNola for the high temp cooking bands!)

I was going to copy his 'strung up' idea as well, but wanted to try making a cradle of sorts.    Dug out a cheapo rib rack and bent it to shape.

In we go..  225*, top shelf of the MAK.

90 minutes later...  Getting some color now.

They might be done in an hour or so - we'll check back then.

pensrock

Looks good, I got some sitting in the fridge right now. Will probably smoke on Thur.

KyNola

Beginning to get some pretty color on it.

MidKnightRider

"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

squirtthecat

Cough cough cough...

Done!

One is just a bit short of the temp I want, so they are in the crockpot on 'low' while we head to church.

Quarlow

Mm mm mm I gots ta make some more soon. Love the rubber band trick, beats tieing.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KyNola

Pretty pretty pretty.  If it tastes half as good as it looks.............awesome.

seemore

wow neat stuff looks good also

OU812

wyrman

That looks really good, I think I'm going to have to try that.

pensrock

Great looking bacon.
QuoteOne is just a bit short of the temp I want, so they are in the crockpot on 'low' while we head to church.
I always under cook mine cause I plan to quick fry it to eat. This way I avoid the chance of drying out.