• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Fill in the Blanks

Started by PMillen, December 26, 2011, 08:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PMillen

When I retired a couple of years ago I discovered that I somewhat like to cook.  That worked out rather well for Marcia because she somewhat hates to.  About the only thing I cooked prior to retirement was oatmeal.  Nevertheless, I rather enjoy it now even though cooking success doesn't come easy for me. 

I read a few cooking forums faithfully but I rarely post unless I have a question for the group or if I feel compelled to share information.  I leave the posting to those with greater expertise in the subject.  (I guess that makes me a lurker although it sounds unduly harsh with sinister overtones.)

I began reading this forum in May of 2010.  I started at the oldest post and have been working my way toward the current ones.  To date I've read 66 of 112 pages.  Marcia, after frequently observing my interest in this forum, concluded that I should have an OBS.  It was under the Christmas tree.  (Well, not really.  A small box containing a note directing me to the OBS's hiding place was under the tree.)

So I seasoned it today and immediately loaded my first Bradley-smoked entree.  I chose the bacon wrapped chicken breast that has often been suggested as a first effort, http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?43-Smoked-Bacon-Wrapped-Chicken-Breast-1

Raw

Internal Temperature at 165*

I didn't do so well with it.  I suspect that my bacon slices were too long and overlapped too much.  Also, the recipe doesn't specify a smoker temperature or a target meat IT.  I decided on 220* and an IT of 165*. 

Ambient temperature was 48* with a light breeze when I started.  The breasts hit 165* IT after two hours but the bacon was too raw.  Marcia was tired of waiting so we peeled them and ate.

That's the genesis of my thread title.  I'm hopeful that someone who has prepared bacon wrapped chicken breasts can fill in the recipe's omissions by suggesting appropriate temperatures.  It would also be helpful to have an approximation of the time required.

Paul
Grill 1:  Ubiquitous Weber Kettle
Grill 2:  Gasser
OBS w/Dual Probe Auber PID
Cookshack PG-500

Keymaster

The recipe does state "2 to 2-1/2 hours". I have made these once before but I cooked them in my Ceramic grill inderect over lump coal. I faintly remember the interior bacon being not as crispy as the out but was still good. I think your temps were right on and they do look good :)

PMillen

Quote from: Keymaster on December 27, 2011, 04:34:23 AM
The recipe does state "2 to 2-1/2 hours".

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Yes, I went back and looked at the recipe.  It does project a duration.  Maybe I should have reduced the amount of leftover Christmas wine.

Next time I may crank the heat after the smoking is compete.
Paul
Cookshack PG-500

smoker pete

Welcome to the forum PMillen.  I would suggest using 250?F when doing poultry with the vent wide open. 

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Caneyscud

Looked done enough for me.  If the IT was 165 - the surface was hotter - so the bacon was safe to eat.  I would have done a little hotter CT also.   I will typically use a thinner bacon when doing these also. 

BTW - Welcome to the forum as a poster!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Quarlow

I would also look for thinner bacon and set the temp to 250f. I would have taken those breasts you had done and grilled them on the BBQ for awhile that would have cooked the bacon nicely. Welcome to the forum and remember, you are a lurker no more. We will have you crankin' out good stuff right away.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

PMillen

Thank you all for your suggestions.  The weather has been mild providing an opportunity for another cook.
Paul
Cookshack PG-500