• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Whaddaya Think?

Started by drlafone, December 27, 2011, 03:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drlafone

Hi all,

I'm a new member on the forum, and a new Bradley owner.  Yesterday, I picked up a 6-rack digital smoker for a clearance price of $342, which I think is a pretty good deal.  Because it was their last one, I didn't take the time to research it like I normally would have - last unit on clearance, you get it then or you don't get it! 

After spending some time today online and specifically on this site, I see that most owners recommend the original Bradley with an aftermarket temp controller.  So my question is this... considering the clearance price I paid, should I stick with the 6-rack digital OR is the Original Bradley w/ the temperature controller that much better.

Any input is appreciated!

Kevin

devo

Well since you got the six rack at that price that's a good deal. You can use it just the way it is and produce really good meals, but down the road you might want to add some toys to make life a little easier. After market PID controllers would be the first thing I would add plus the duel element mod.

beefmann

also get a maverick 732 dual probe thermometer helps greatly in keeping track of box temp and meat temp

KyNola

Kevin, first of all welcome to the Forum.  You snagged a really good deal on that 6 rack.  Unless you are going to make your own sausage or maybe smoking salmon where you need tighter temp controls, the unit you purchased will work just fine for you.  I have the BDS 4 rack that is almost 5 years old and have produced some pretty decent food.  This year I purchased a PID for it and have yet to plug it in.

If you are going to buy some accessories I would suggest the Maverick ET-732 dual probe digital thermometer.  It comes with a wireless receiver.  One probe measures the internal temperature(IT) of the meat.  The other probe monitors the temperature in the tower.  It is WAY more accurate than the readings you will get from the BDS.  the receiver allows you to sit inside and see what is going on in the tower and in the meat.

Ooops, beefmann beat me to it.  Sorry Beef!

Don't rush into anything else.  Get used to using and enjoying your new smoker.  If you nned any help or have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

drlafone

Thanks for your input guys.  For now I'll probably forgo the dual element mod, but that may certainly be in my future.  I already have a dual probe wireless temp monitor, thought it's not the maverick.  I guess the next thing to buy is meat!  Trying to decide whether I want to tackle ribs first or a butt....  decisions decision...

Kevin

KyNola

Do a butt first.  Long smoke and cook time but pretty much foolproof.  Will give you a great opportunity to let you get used to your new smoker.

micman

Hi Kevin my first smoke was ribs, very easy to do and they turned out great. Got alot of good advice from the people off this site.
Welcome and good smokin.

Mick

mlp311

Welcome to the forums. You are in the right place to talk Bradley smokers. The knowledge and experience on here still amazes me. These guys and gals will never steer you wrong and someone is always available to offer their suggestions and advice.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

La Quinta

I am going with KyNola...go with a shoulder/butt for the first smoke...very forgiving cut...you can learn a lot doing a butt...

You will have a lot of fun with the smoker...start slow...

Habanero Smoker

Hi Kevin;

Welcome to the forum.

If you don't want to defer you gratification of your first smoke, there are many other things you can make for the first time in much shorter times. Bacon wrapped chicken breast, pork loins, pork tenderloin, ABT's and many other foods.

The easiest to prepare would be a pork loin, though many have given rave reviews to the bacon wrapped chicken.

There are many recipes on this board, and at the Recipe Site

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

drlafone

Wow...  Thanks for all the input guys!  Actually, what I smoke first is dependent on several factors, the most important of which is what SHE wants me to smoke.

Just to give a little background on me...  I've been smokin' meat for about 5 years, and besides the Bradley, I own a propane vertical smoker and co-own a porta-pit on wheels named Black Betty.  I know just enough to be dangerous, and can produce excellent results some of the time, mediocre results some of the time, and dog food occasionally.  I'm originally from Eastern NC, so if given my preference I'd cook whole hog every time. 

So why did I buy the Bradley?  First, you can't very well fire up Black Betty just for a family dinner.  With 24 sqft of cooking surface, Betty only sees action when there's a crowd of 20 or more.  The propane smoker was working ok, but the minimum temperature it would hold was around 250F.  Besides running hotter than I'd like, it also required constant wood chip additions and door opening.  This constant babysitting can be worth it if the product turns out good, but that was too often not the case.  So, the purchase of the Bradley was to give me the closest thing to set-it-and-forget-it cooking as I can get. 

So the plan is to season it tonight, then load it on the truck and head to the in-laws in house in FL for New Years.  Her first test will be cooking for the in-laws  :o  No pressure there!

La Quinta

I love that you name your smokers! Our smoker is named Bubba...but I'm a girl...so I go with guy names... ;D

ghost9mm

Can't add much to what has already has been said, I think the folks here on the forum have put the Bradley Smoker through some hoops that even the folks at Bradley had not thought of all I can add is, the best results are low and slow...good luck..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill