New Member from Northern California...1st results (with pictures)

Started by computerthings, December 29, 2011, 11:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

computerthings

Hello all.

Very excited that I got a Bradley Smoker for Christmas.  It is the electric, 4 rack one.  I have been wanting to get a smoker for a while as I am a big Food Network watcher and am a lover of good BBQ.  My previous experience has been in the oven or BBQ which has been good but limited (mostly ribs, steak, etc). 

I really want to try low and slow cooking and different cuts of meat like Brisket / dry rubs, etc.  I have unpacked the product and tomorrow will be my first try at smoker cooking. 

Couple of immediate - Basic - questions.

1. Wood pucks.   I understand that the smoker needs a puck ~20 mins.  Do I need to press the button to insert a new wood chip puck every 20 mins or can I put in say 3 / hour?

2. Smoke Venting.  Is my goal to keep the air flow good so that the smoke comes out of the unit or should I close the top vent to keep the smoke in the smoker?

3. Recipes.  If I find a great dry rub recipe that is meant for the oven, can I use it as a smoker recipe?

4. Pan.   I know I cannot use foil to catch the sauce and fat droppings but can I put the meat into a foil tray and then put it on the rack or is it best to put the meat directly on the rack.

5. Flavor.  I have read that you should occasionally spray the meat with an apple juice / vinegar / water mix.  Are there any suggestions on frequency?  is there a favorite spray that you use?   

6. Meat Maintenance. How often should I open the smoker say for a 8 lb brisket?  I know the total cook time is ~1.5 hrs/lb...but during that time, should I open it once an hour? 

7. Recipes.   I have found some that I'd like to try.  My main goal is to do brisket, ribs and possibly chicken.  Are there any recipes you can recommend or sites that have good ones?

computerthings

btw, my name is Stan and I am a husband and father of four.  I work in the Tech industry in Product Marketing.  I like to cook but this will be my first attempts at trying real low and slow cooking. 

mikecorn.1

Welcome. Just a couple of answers. Cause I'm supposed to be working :D
The Bradley will auto feed a puck every 20 minutes. Keep the vent 3/4 to full open. I do full open. Lots of more info even on the two answers that I gave u. Stay tuned and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Keymaster

Quote from: computerthings on December 29, 2011, 11:08:56 AM
Hello all.

Very excited that I got a Bradley Smoker for Christmas.  It is the electric, 4 rack one.  I have been wanting to get a smoker for a while as I am a big Food Network watcher and am a lover of good BBQ.  My previous experience has been in the oven or BBQ which has been good but limited (mostly ribs, steak, etc). 

I really want to try low and slow cooking and different cuts of meat like Brisket / dry rubs, etc.  I have unpacked the product and tomorrow will be my first try at smoker cooking. 

Couple of immediate - Basic - questions.

1. Wood pucks.   I understand that the smoker needs a puck ~20 mins.  Do I need to press the button to insert a new wood chip puck every 20 mins or can I put in say 3 / hour?
         Like mike said, it auto feeds every 20 minutes but you will need three extra at the end to push the final puck to the hot plate or get bubba pucks http://www.yardandpool.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=bubba&Search.x=47&Search.y=2
2. Smoke Venting.  Is my goal to keep the air flow good so that the smoke comes out of the unit or should I close the top vent to keep the smoke in the smoker?
          I keep my vent fully open all the time
3. Recipes.  If I find a great dry rub recipe that is meant for the oven, can I use it as a smoker recipe?
                            I would say yes
4. Pan.   I know I cannot use foil to catch the sauce and fat droppings but can I put the meat into a foil tray and then put it on the rack or is it best to put the meat directly on the rack.
                       Directly on the rack so it gets all the flavor of the smoke, if meat is small you can get frog mats from her http://www.yardandpool.com/High-Temperature-Jerky-Drying-Screen-p/hitempjrky.htm
5. Flavor.  I have read that you should occasionally spray the meat with an apple juice / vinegar / water mix.  Are there any suggestions on frequency?  is there a favorite spray that you use?   
      Someone else can answer this, I dont spritz my meat to often ;D
6. Meat Maintenance. How often should I open the smoker say for a 8 lb brisket?  I know the total cook time is ~1.5 hrs/lb...but during that time, should I open it once an hour? 
        As little as possibe, if your lookin you aint cookin
7. Recipes.   I have found some that I'd like to try.  My main goal is to do brisket, ribs and possibly chicken.  Are there any recipes you can recommend or sites that have good ones?
Someone will come along with the recipe forum

KyNola

Mike has question 1&2 covered.  I'll take a couple more. #3, yes, if you have a rub that you like for the oven, it will work just fine with your Bradley. #4, you CAN use foil in the Bradley.  Just don't cover an entire rack with it.  Covering the entire rack will prohibit the heat and smoke from rising, causing a fire opportunity.  As for catching the drippings, many place the meat on the rack and then place a pan of some sort to catch the drippings on the rack below the rack that the meat is sitting on. #5, this is personal preference but I have never sprayed the meat in the Bradley with anything.  I just don't find it necessary and every time you open the door, you lose heat. #6, simple answer.  Don't open the door anymore than you have to, such as to change the water in the bowl. #7, this is the easiest of them all.  This forum is a great source of recipe info as you have probably discovered by now.  There is also a website that was developed by and for Bradley owners.  It is here: www.susanminor.org When you get there don't worry about logging in.  That's not necessary any longer.  Click on "our time tested and proven recipes".

Hope this helps you some.  Others more learned than me will be along to give you better info than what I have written here.  Follow their advice.

computerthings

Thank you for the replies.  I just turned on the Bradley now, got my meat to room temp and ready to take the initial plunge.  While I am hoping for success, I am braced for the fact that Brisket is a tricky one.

I am preparing like the family is eating something else for dinner and if the brisket comes out...bonus.  I have faith in my cooking skills but understand that new equipment is a new process.  *readying the pizza man's number*. 

I think I will go without spritz to see what the results are like.   Thanks for the info on the foil.  I will follow the advice that the meat will do directly on the rack and the foil pan will catch most of the drippings on the lower shelf.

Forgot to ask some additional question(s). 

- rack placement.  If I am only smoking 1 thing, does it matter which rack I put it on?  eg does the top rack get the most heat/smoke?  Should I put my meat in the middle rack  :) ...sounds like something I'd tell my wife...

- temp control.  my smoker is outside, obviously, and it is somewhat cold for No Cal.  My smoker is a manual setting one.  I *assume* that I have to monitor the inside temp and adjust accordingly....but want to make sure that the Bradley does not automatically adjust settings. 

followup question.

Water changes - I have to change the water and burnt pucks every hour or so correct?

Other than that...thanks again for the info.  Helps me fuel the excitement of smoking meat. 

Stan

PS does the "verification" options to post seem silly/difficult for a simple message board post?  or is it just me?

computerthings

in process question.  I have the heat indicator set to about the "middle" between low and high.  It is only getting to about 150 F.  Is this normal?  I am trying to get it to 225 F so I turned it up to "high". 

pls advise.

seemore

Hey Stan!  You are going to LOVE that smoker!

Regarding the rack placement, put it in the second one up from the bottom.

On the OBS - which it sounds like you have, the temp is not controlled automatically.  So the slider bar needs to be to the far right, and backed off just a little.  Some of the smokers have a 'dead spot' if you push the bar all the way to the right.

If your water pan is full of water, you should be able to smoke it for four hours without dumping the pan and refilling it with water.

To get the temp close to 225, slide the bar as stated above and monitor your temp. 

How big is that brisket?  If the brisket has the flat and point together it could take 12-14 hours of cook time.
I pull my briskets when the IT is 185-190.

GOOD LUCK AND WE WANT TO SEE PICTURES!!!!!

Seemore

seemore

Stan, I forgot to mention that I do spritz ribs and sometimes pork chops with a mixture of apple juice and olive oil.
However, remember when you open the door to the smoker, you will lose temperature in the cabinet.
BTW another little trick:  get a brick, wrap it in foil, and pre-heat it in the oven to 400 degrees.
Place that in the bottom of your smoker.  It will help the smoker to recover heat when and if you have to open the door.
seemore

GusRobin

If you have the OBS, and are not using a thermometer other than the door probe, I would place the meat on the top rack so that the probe is just below the brisket. Otherwise you may not get true temp readings since the meat will block out the heat.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

welcome to the forum and the others have you pointed in the right direction

computerthings

solved the heat issue...far to the right is the trick.  Was just counter intuitive to cook low and slow on high.  Should have taken a before and after but was far too excited to start. 

Went with this as my rub with a mustard coat.  Got this from a youtube video.  I am far to visual of a learner.  :)
2/3 cups brown sugar
? cup garlic
1/8 cup salt
? cup paprika
3 Tbsp fresh cracked pepper
3 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp beef bouillon
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp coriander
? Tbsp cayenne pepper
? Tbsp dill weed
? Tbsp thyme

I feel I have been blessed into smoking as I burnt the hell out of my hand while putting my brisket on.     

PS I continue to think that the security of this site is kind of weird. 

beefmann

Quote from: computerthings on December 29, 2011, 05:49:41 PM
solved the heat issue...far to the right is the trick.  Was just counter intuitive to cook low and slow on high.  Should have taken a before and after but was far too excited to start. 

Went with this as my rub with a mustard coat.  Got this from a youtube video.  I am far to visual of a learner.  :)
2/3 cups brown sugar
? cup garlic
1/8 cup salt
? cup paprika
3 Tbsp fresh cracked pepper
3 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp beef bouillon
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp coriander
? Tbsp cayenne pepper
? Tbsp dill weed
? Tbsp thyme

I feel I have been blessed into smoking as I burnt the hell out of my hand while putting my brisket on.     

PS I continue to think that the security of this site is kind of weird.

naaaa,, you  just been  christened into smoking

Shasta bob

Welcome to the site, i myself am from northern California and now reside in Oregon. It is good to see that we are having more west coast smokers joining the Bradley Forum. 
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

computerthings

in the home stretch.  I am done with the smoking...thinking about adding a bit of apple juice or beer to the water pan. 

Haven't looked at the meat yet, trusting the process.