• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New Member from Ontario, Canada

Started by sdcaller, December 30, 2011, 12:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdcaller

Greetings
I've been using a Luhr Jensen Little Chief smoker for about 25 years to smoke fish. I also have a small Braunfells "barrel smoker" I use for pork-BBQ
The LJ is just about worn out and my wife gave me an original Bradley for Christmas. ;D
It's kinda like going from a Model A to a new Mustang.
The LJ is a hot process and to smoke 10lbs of salmon or rainbow, I would use 4 pans of wood chips and smoke/cook for 7 to 11 hours dependent upon ambient temperature. I have no idea of the temp in the LJ as there is no thermometer. Over the years, I have produced some great "Indian Candy".
Tips I got on the Bradley from some of the fishing boards I participate in said, 2 hours of smoke but were vague on temp and total length of time.
If we get Lake Simcoe frozen up in the next few weeks, I hope to have some Lake Trout and Whitefish to smoke. Any tips or hints for me?
I realize that now I have the Bradley I can do meats in it and who knows, I may have to retire the Braunfells. It's a bit labour intensive, tending the fire box and rotating the meat end to end as it's hotter near the firebox than near the chimney.
I'm looking forward to experimenting and learning and I look forward to any help or input.
Thanks.
SDC
P.S.-I use the handle "sdcaller" as amongst other things, I'm an old time square dance caller.
Olde Tyme Square Dance for Fun

Jim O

Welcome to the forum sdcaller ! We're almost neighbours! (Wasaga Beach ).

Enjoy your new toy.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

mikecorn.1

Mike

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

ghost9mm

Hello and welcome to a really great forum...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

sdcaller

Quote from: Jim O on December 30, 2011, 12:14:07 PM
Welcome to the forum sdcaller ! We're almost neighbours! (Wasaga Beach ).

Enjoy your new toy.

Jim O
Hey JIm O
I'm over at Wasaga beach a fair bit.
I launch the boat in the river at the park and go out into the Lake to troll for Salmon and Steelhead. The boat is put  away now, but this time of year as long as I can or until Lake Simcoe is frozen, I fish from shore for Steelhead.
SDC

lumpy

Welcome to the Forum Eh!

How's Lake Eugenia these days? ;)

Jim O

SDC

We live on the river between the two bridges.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling

sdcaller

Bought beef ribs today and gonna smoke them on Saturday.

I put a post on one of the fishing forums where I participate  and another member posted his beef rib recipe. Recipe looks real good.
We'll see how they turn out out.

Don't have time to do them tomorrow, going to do some shore fishing at the mouth of the Nottawasaga River which flows into Georgian Bay. Hope to connect with some Steelhead/Rainbow Trout and if I do, they will get smoked in the next few days.

Life is good--fishing and smoking and then some old time fiddling and square dancing!
SDC

Indy Smoker

Welcome !!

Remember low and slow, they're done when they're done and not before.
Try come nuts, cheese, potatoes, etc in the future

Jim O

If you're going to the mouth to fish,Email me and I'll give you my phone # and we can hook up.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling

sdcaller

Hey Jim O
Fished the mouth of the River today from 9:00 am until Noon.
Nothing, not even a hit. Things looked good but no fish or hungry fish around. In any event, nice day to be out fishing (above freezing and no wind) rather than just sitting around thinking about it.
When I got home, I fired up the Bradley to make sure it worked and to go throught the "seasoning" process. Ready to do my ribs tomorrow.
Recipe says 2 hours of smoke at 200degrees and then another 8hrs at 200, and to baste every hour. How does that sound?
I'll send you a PM with my phone #.
SDC

Jim O

Sounds good!

Are you doing baby backs or side ribs?

Just watch for the meat pulling back from the bone,then they should be ready.(more important than the time).

Jim O

- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling

jiggerjams

Welcome to the forum sdc
Good to see you and JimO are relatively close. I live in Brampton but grew up in Shelburne and lived near Alliston for a stint during high school. Did some great salmon fishing when I was living there.

sdc, if you get a chance to roam through the forum here there are lots of great tips and pictorials. Lots of great helpful people hear too.

JJ

sdcaller

Hey Jiggerjams
My wife and I will be in Shelburne tomorrow at the Legion.
There is an old time misic jam and dance. My wife will be playing the fiddle and I will be calling a few square dances.

I've been scanning the pages about recipes and had chuckle about the one with someone looking for a recipe to smoke squirrel.
In 2010 we spent 3 days at an old time music festival in Freemont, Nebraska and one of the people we met gave my wife the music for a local fiddle tune called "squirrel heads and gravy". She can play the tune, but I don't think I'm going to be cooking any squirrels.
SDC