• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Ham

Started by drunknimortal, January 01, 2012, 05:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunknimortal

I got a 6.5# shank that I want to cure for a ham. I have a cure receipe but Im not sure how long to cure it. Ive seen anywhere from 4 days to a month. The brine receipe is from pops,he says it soaks a month, 1/3 - 1 cup sea salt (depending if you're on a lo-salt diet)

1 cup granulated sugar or Splenda?

1 cup brown sugar or Splenda? brown sugar mix

1 tbsp cure no. 1 pink salt

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Sorry! I don't quite understand your post. Maybe if you post the entire recipe I'll get a better understanding, such as how much water is used. Brining times can vary, because of the size of the meat being brined and the amount of salt in the brine.

If you are concerned about salt intake, here is another recipe from that site that uses less salt and cure #1 (which also reduced the salt).

Smoked Cured Ham

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

drunknimortal

I cured it for a week an am using the ccoking direction you supplied to finish it . Thanks

jiggerjams

Sounds  delish. Off to the fridge I go  ::)

drunknimortal

It looks like it came out perfect, just have to let it sit in the fridge for a few days then reheat an glaze. Id post a pick but cant figure out how. Thanks for all the help.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)