Venison Stix

Started by NePaSmoKer, January 03, 2012, 10:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Kevin A

Never had venison stix, but wow! Those sure look eat-able!  :D

In fact I havent had venison in about..............35 years.
How would one describe the flavor ("gamey" I've heard, but that doesnt sound enticing) in these stix versus beef or pork?

Great color & texture.......

?Kevin

Sam3

watchdog56

If your venison is gamey it is because it was over cooked. Need to cook the steaks until it is pink in the middle and you would not be able to tell the difference between a good steak and deer.

NePaSmoKer

Yup ready for pick up today.

Hot

Teriyaki

pensrock

QuoteYup ready for pick up today.
I thought you would be shipping them to me?  ;) ;D
They do look good.  :)

nasels

Quote from: Kevin A on January 04, 2012, 08:00:35 PM
Never had venison stix, but wow! Those sure look eat-able!  :D

In fact I havent had venison in about..............35 years.
How would one describe the flavor ("gamey" I've heard, but that doesnt sound enticing) in these stix versus beef or pork?

Great color & texture.......

?Kevin

Wild Game may taste gamey if it is not handled properly at the time of or after the kill. For example: bad shot placement, not field dressed properly, not cooled quick enough in warm weather (don't ride it around in back of truck showing it off), in the case of a deer how far it ran before or after the shot (ex: deer drive using dogs).
If handled properly and cooked properly it usually does not have a gamey taste.
I know nothing about smoking meat but know a little about hunting :)

nasels

Nepa did you twist and then tie the string? I guess if hung the sticks in the smoker without the string they would untwist. Dang them slim jims are Pretty.

As far as my first attempt: I just ordered a jerky cannon and a 3/8 stuffing tube. Already have the venison and the hi-mountain stick kit (the garlic pepper one). Ground venison I have some with fat added (very little fat ) and some for ground beef jerky with no fat. What ratio do I want for the sticks venison vs fat (probably pork butt or maybe bacon? I see a hunting site where the main stick makers use straight venison for sticks and a mixture for their summer sausage. Can I use straight venison?

I will be cooking in the oven- could you please explain the cooking process in relation to temps? Start low what temp and increase to what temp- and how long and I am sure insert a meat thermometer to reach the desired internal temp. I will probably lie the sticks on the racks the first time or should I hang them. If I lie them on a rack I suppose I could twist to get sections if I want and not have to use string because they are not hanging.

I saw bloom mentioned in this thread and understand the term a little. Will they need to bloom and if so what is the process.

The collagen casings in a stick kit, There are four sections in the kit-- does anyone know how much meat for one casing. I hate to have too much or too little mix and waste the casing.

I see you guys say you do not have to use high temp cheese--- the kids love the cheese in sticks but not sure i am that brave yet. May throw in some Jalapenos.

I will pick up the LEM 5lb stuffer and try summer sausage if this goes well.

Thanks in advance for the help ----  and Nepa how is Savannah and the South (GODS COUNTRY ) suiting you ;))

Indy Smoker

Those look gooooooood !
I made a batch last year using Pensrock recipe, they turned out GREAT !
You're making me hungry !
What recipe did you use . . .  .and method. . . .or is that a closely held Nepas Secret ??

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: nasels on January 05, 2012, 06:07:53 PM
Nepa did you twist and then tie the string? I guess if hung the sticks in the smoker without the string they would untwist. Dang them slim jims are Pretty.

As far as my first attempt: I just ordered a jerky cannon and a 3/8 stuffing tube. Already have the venison and the hi-mountain stick kit (the garlic pepper one). Ground venison I have some with fat added (very little fat ) and some for ground beef jerky with no fat. What ratio do I want for the sticks venison vs fat (probably pork butt or maybe bacon? I see a hunting site where the main stick makers use straight venison for sticks and a mixture for their summer sausage. Can I use straight venison?

I will be cooking in the oven- could you please explain the cooking process in relation to temps? Start low what temp and increase to what temp- and how long and I am sure insert a meat thermometer to reach the desired internal temp. I will probably lie the sticks on the racks the first time or should I hang them. If I lie them on a rack I suppose I could twist to get sections if I want and not have to use string because they are not hanging.

I saw bloom mentioned in this thread and understand the term a little. Will they need to bloom and if so what is the process.

The collagen casings in a stick kit, There are four sections in the kit-- does anyone know how much meat for one casing. I hate to have too much or too little mix and waste the casing.

I see you guys say you do not have to use high temp cheese--- the kids love the cheese in sticks but not sure i am that brave yet. May throw in some Jalapenos.

I will pick up the LEM 5lb stuffer and try summer sausage if this goes well.

Thanks in advance for the help ----  and Nepa how is Savannah and the South (GODS COUNTRY ) suiting you ;))

I just tied to get the lengths. Collagen will break if you twist. If i remember each length of collagen will stuff 7 lbs.

Getting used to the southern living  ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Indy Smoker on January 05, 2012, 07:23:42 PM
Those look gooooooood !
I made a batch last year using Pensrock recipe, they turned out GREAT !
You're making me hungry !
What recipe did you use . . .  .and method. . . .or is that a closely held Nepas Secret ??

Naaaa these aint no secret. AC LEGG Stick mix 116# Added 2 Tbs cayenne for the hot and 4 Tbs teriyaki powder for the other batch.

Easy Peasy

Indy Smoker

I keep lookin' for the AC Leggs since I read som many users happy with this recipe.  I guess I need to look a little harder or just order online  ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Indy Smoker on January 05, 2012, 07:31:33 PM
I keep lookin' for the AC Leggs since I read som many users happy with this recipe.  I guess I need to look a little harder or just order online  ;D

Im surprised you cant find it in Indiana?

I got more today.  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=26507.0

Indy Smoker

I guess I am not looking hard enough.  Thanks for the link, I may order some before the night ends.

Just curious. . . .what type of hangers are you using?  I have dowell rods cut to size
and why the rack at the bottom just above the drip pan ???

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Indy Smoker on January 05, 2012, 07:38:41 PM
I guess I am not looking hard enough.  Thanks for the link, I may order some before the night ends.

Just curious. . . .what type of hangers are you using?  I have dowell rods cut to size
and why the rack at the bottom just above the drip pan ???

I use SS bell shape smoke sticks.
http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31_208&products_id=746