• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Confused about curing/brining salts!?

Started by Foodie, January 03, 2012, 06:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foodie

Hi All,

I'm a bit confused about all the different types of curing salts available  :(

I want to make the Maple bacon - but I couldn't find "Pink Salt" here - what are it's ingredients?

I did get this "Ham and Bacon Pump" and it contains Salt, Mineral salt (451, 452, 500)Antioxidant (316) Sodium Nitrate (250) Humectant (422) Hydrolysed Veg protein (soy)

Is this the same thing?

Trouble is instructions are only for a Wet immersion/injecting brine (on the packet) - and the Maple recipe is uses dry curing salts? Do u think I could use this in the Maple Bacon recipe?

And if so - how much would I use? and would I need to add plain salt (as it's already in the mix anyway)

Would be totally grateful for some enlightment here guys  :)

(also - do u absolutely have to use chemical salts if you plan on freezing your bacon anyway...? (and always cooking it)

devo

Not knowing what product you bought I am just guessing here. I would amagine it would be the same as the dry brine as long as you follow the instructions. Using a curing salt is needed to help the meat get through the danger zone temp range where it could pick up those nasty bugs, so yes it;s needed. Hab's is really up on all the cures, so hopefully he will be here to help out.

beefmann

i would use mortons tender quick and maple syrup to make maple bacon

Foodie

Thanks guys - but I am in a rural town in Western Australia - so don't have same brand names etc?

I may have to wet brine it and then add the maple syrup afterwards...?

The brine recipe is water, cover brine, D/brown suagr and butchers salt. (maybe I can substitute D/b sugar with maple syrup?)

And why are Pumping brine strengths different to cover brine..? Does anyone pump here?

Habanero Smoker

I'm not familiar with the way ingredients are list in Australia so I don't know what the numbers are in reference to. I can tell you that it is not pink salt (cure #1). What you have is a commercial cure mix that should be only used as it is directed on the label. Sometime if you visit the manufacturer's site they may have instructions on how to use it for dry cure. The mix you have is a blend that you just add it to water as directed and you are ready to go. With commercial mixes like the one you have, I would not add any extra salt, but you can add more sugar and/or syrup and it will not effect it's curing properties.

Pink salt is salt (93.75%), and sodium nitrite (6.25%); or 1 pound of salt + 1 ounce of sodium nitrite. Here is a list of common curing salts that for the list are not considered commercial cure mixes like the one you have, which depending on the manufacturer could have different levels of sodium nitrite. (Note: Pink salt (cure #1 is a cure mix, but since it is consistent amount different manufacturer, it is not considered a mix for the purposes of the list).
Curing Salts

"And why are Pumping brine strengths different to cover brine..? Does anyone pump here?"
I'm not sure what you are referring to in your first question. If you can clarify your question it would be helpful.

For large pieces of meat, I alway spray pump my meat. It shortens the cure time, and ensure the meat cures more evenly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Foodie

Thanks Hab - the numbers are just their universal code No (like MSG is 621 etc) The ingredients are listed in order of largest to smallest amount.
Yea - it's a commercial prep (by MBL Food Services - Aust company) but for pumping.  I have emailed the company to see if they can convert to an amount/kg for a dry rub....(as I am stuck with 4kg of the stuff now!  ::)

I ended up going for 11gm/kg of meat (plus 50gm salt and then the sugar - according to a recipe I have that uses pink salt) I am hoping I have erred on the side of caution here...? (as a Pump it's 12-15% for bacon (5kg cure/45.5Lwater - then add normal salt until 45deg salinity)

It's holiday time here - so getting a reply from the company is very slow.... :(

Maybe I should have waited? They have only been curing for a day - so it's not too late to wash it off?

I don't want to poison the family  - eek!? (well - maybe just the hubby....lol....kidding)

Foodie

Decided to wash it off (lots) ....it's not worth it is it...? They in freezer until I can get the right stuff...

Thanks for your insights everyone...much appreciated...

Habanero Smoker

You should wait. Looking at the ingredients again, you may have a mixture that is close to cure #1, since there is only salt, sodium nitrite, and the Humectant is a moisture retainer to keep the product dry which is usually added at less the 1%, and Hydrolysed Veg protein, from what I can find out is basically MSG it may have an anti-caking properties - I will have to look that up further.

When the manufacture contacts you see if you can get the percentage of sodium nitrite that is in the cure mix. If you get that you can determine how much to use. With out knowing the percentage of sodium nitrite, it can not be calculated for dry cure use.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Foodie

yup - will do Hab - tried to look up the MSDS (material safety data sheet) with no luck (for those %'s) - odd - as they are a legal requirement (in Aust at least)

Got a bit nervous about the sodium nitrite concentration - so I bailed...

I am certain it could be converted to a rub mix - just depends on how on the ball with chemistry the dude is at the company maybe? ...  ;)

Will post the outcome, for interest, when the guy gets back from holidays tho...