new to smoking

Started by aflight, January 14, 2006, 04:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aflight

I am real new to smoking food and have question. What does the abbv. ftc mean?

nodak

welcome aboard aflight

FTC stands for Foil, towel, cooler.

Things like boston butt once you reach your internal temp in smoker you (FTC) take it out double wrap in tin foil, wrap in a towel and put it in a cooler and it will continue to cook, helps juices/fat to make it tender.   Do this for 2-6 hours Also usually add some apple juice 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I like to preheat my cooler by filling it with hot water, than dump it out b4 putting the meat in it.

the guys on this site are real helpful and knowledgeable.  A lot of your questions can be answered if you search this site.  Don't be shy if you need help.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

iceman

Welcome aflight; ftc I understand means Foil, Towel, Cooler. Lets say after your pork or brisket is done smoking you wrap it real good in foil then wrap it up in towels then place it in a warmed up ice chest (cooler) and let it"rest" for a few hours. The meat becomes so tender you won't need a knife to cut it. This is a must step for pulled pork.[:p]

Big or small you can smoke'm all!!!

iceman

Dang your fast nodak[;)][;)]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nodak</i>
<br />welcome aboard aflight

FTC stands for Foil, towel, cooler.

Things like boston butt once you reach your internal temp in smoker you (FTC) take it out double wrap in tin foil, wrap in a towel and put it in a cooler and it will continue to cook, helps juices/fat to make it tender.   Do this for 2-6 hours Also usually add some apple juice 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I like to preheat my cooler by filling it with hot water, than dump it out b4 putting the meat in it.

the guys on this site are real helpful and knowledgeable.  A lot of your questions can be answered if you search this site.  Don't be shy if you need help.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

nodak

Iceman, business is at a slower time of year actually in the offices more. I'm having a lazy Saturday morning, wife at a meeting so just me and my son and my butt.  just waiting for my butt to get done. First use of raptor/competitor. Was impressed but remote thermo alarm kept going off and temp was 15F too high. than drop right away. Should've checked water by the puddle(ice now) outside my BS door I spilled most of it(working in dark) and it was dry this morning(after 4 1/2 hrs).  Assuming pucks burning gave me uncontrollable temp spikes.  Live and Learn, think butt is alright.  See how things go tomorrow with first try of sausage.

I impressed myself at actually being able to answer a question. Not that this grasshopper is done being the student, I have a long long long long long long ways to go master.

iceman

nodak; Let me know how things go tomorrow on the sausage. I'm taking a break from smoking for awhile. I just finished off 24 turkey legs, 6 turkeys, and 12 chickens for all the folks at work. Ann said she's going to stuff me in the smoker next if I don't start getting things done around the house soon.[V] I really want to start playing with the jerky and hunter stick stuff next. I'm still a little nervous about it but what the heck, ya gotta start somewhere.

JJC

Welcome, Jim--let us know how your smokes come out!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

aflight

Thanks all. I will be seasoning my new Bradley Smoker this after noon. Then smoking my step- son's 42lb King tomorrow.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

aflight welcome to the forum, you might want to start off with some chicken for your first smoke with the bradley so you get the hang of the temps, before starting on that 42lb salmon,

iceman before you start making jerky lets get together and chat , i have been making jerky for a long time , ever since jerkyg posted a few things , i have been playing around with a few batches and and did a 180 on my fist steps, wow a big diferance,

click on link to sign up for the 2006 free givaway. http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2809