Question On Canadian Bacon

Started by wyrman, January 04, 2012, 03:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyrman

I bought a pork loin today and am planning on making some canadian bacon with it. My question is can I use the cure that I have for regular bacon for the canadian bacon?
It's from Eldon's Sausage company and it's what I've been useing to make delicious bacon with the last two times.
My gut tells me the answer is yes, but I'm not 100% sure.

squirtthecat

Is it a cure (Cure #1, Pink Salt, etc.) with spices mixed in?    Any idea what is in it?

I'd say you can, but it might not have the flavor profile of "Canadian Bacon"..

devo

I say follow your gut. It might not taste the same but I bet it's close if not better.

wyrman

This is the description from their website. I want the canadian bacon flavor so if this won't do it I can try Habanero smokers recipe or whatever is recommended.
Product ID: Ekc-390    Category: Curing Bacon & Ham
Bacon Rub Premium
Description: Cures up to 100LBS of meat. Ingredients: salt, brown sugar, pure Vermont maple syrup, sodium nitrite (0.084%) sodium nitrate (0.083%), less than 1.0% glycerine added to prevent caking. For each 10lbs of raw pork bellies use 4oz of bacon rub. for 10lbs of beef briskets us 5oz of bacon rub; rub vigorously into top, bottom and all sides of meat until all the bacon rub is absorbed into the meat.plave rubbed meat into brine pan; cover & refrigerate for 7 days. remove from pan DO NOT RINSE! To Smoke/Cook: lay cured meat slabs on smoker rack, or hang on bacon hanger in smoker; cook at 140 F (damper open) for 1 hr. apply smoke chips, sawdust or bisquettes, close damper, raise temp to 175 F, smoke/cook 4-5 hrs, or until the internal temp reaches 120-125 F. For Oven Processing: turn your oven to its lowest setting 175-200 F, & cook until the internal temp of the bacon reaches 120-125 F. remove, pan fry, bake, or microwave until bacon is fully cooked before eating. fresh bacon can be refrigerated up to 2 weeks before being consumed. freeze remainder of bacon until ready to eat.

squirtthecat

Well, you've got 1/2 of what is needed right there...   Cure, Salt and Brown Sugar.

I would weigh the loins out and use the specified amount of that cure.   Then for each pound of meat, add 1 heavy teaspoon of onion powder and 1 heavy teaspoon of garlic powder.

That is Hab's recipe - give or take a few pinches of dis/dat.   ;)

I'm sure he'll be along for some more input, but I think you are on the right track.

wyrman

KyNola

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 04, 2012, 06:00:29 PM
Well, you've got 1/2 of what is needed right there...   Cure, Salt and Brown Sugar.
I would weigh the loins out and use the specified amount of that cure.   Then for each pound of meat, add 1 heavy teaspoon of onion powder and 1 heavy teaspoon of garlic powder.
That is Hab's recipe - give or take a few pinches of dis/dat.   ;)
I'm sure he'll be along for some more input, but I think you are on the right track.
Ditto!