Indoor use of BS

Started by shrew, January 14, 2006, 07:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shrew

I am new to the BS smoking game. I have smoked in an other type of smoker, the kind with the fire box on the side. But wanted one that I could just drink beer and watch instead of tend fire and then drink beer. My question is this; can the BS be used in an enclosed area like a garage with ventilation? the instruction sheet said for outdoors only? I know that this may be a dumb question, how much does the outside temp effect the smoker in the winter? is it hard to keep it at the set or desired temp setting out in the cold or wind? as we have alot of wind in this part of the country[xx(]

JJC

Welcome, Shrew.  You picked the best beer-drinkin'smoker around (doesn't BS stand for Beer Smokin'?)

Even though the BS is insulated, it's still affected a bit by the outside temp and wind.  However, even on breezy, 0-10F days I haven't had trouble getting the smoker up to 210-220.  I rarely need to smoke anything at a higher temp than that.  If it's windy, you might want to set it up on the leeward side of your house or on a covered porch.

As for ventilation, you can use your garage if the door is open and the smoker is near the door.  Another option is to vent the smoker out the window or wall of the garage as some Forum members have done (and posted).  The main thing you're trying to do with the ventilation is keep the smoke out of your lungs.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

shrew

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />Welcome, Shrew.  You picked the best beer-drinkin'smoker around (doesn't BS stand for Beer Smokin'?)

Even though the BS is insulated, it's still affected a bit by the outside temp and wind.  However, even on breezy, 0-10F days I haven't had trouble getting the smoker up to 210-220.  I rarely need to smoke anything at a higher temp than that.  If it's windy, you might want to set it up on the leeward side of your house or on a covered porch.

As for ventilation, you can use your garage if the door is open and the smoker is near the door.  Another option is to vent the smoker out the window or wall of the garage as some Forum members have done (and posted).  The main thing you're trying to do with the ventilation is keep the smoke out of your lungs.

John
Newton MA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

boxertrio

Shrew, I use mine in the garage.  I either vent it out the garage door with some <u>aluminum</u> dryer hose and a small fan, or sometimes I just stick the hose into the attic acess.  No problems with either method.  House doesn't smell like smoke with it in the attic, and by the time the smoke travles up 10ft in the hose, it is cooled off.

I crack the door a little and turn the fan on low

Glenn

White smoke good...Black smoke bad!!
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

bubbagump

Just ran across this post. I also use mine in the garage from time to time with the door open. I would <b><u>never</u></b> vent the BS into my attic space. The last thing you want to be putting up there is additional moisture.

Bubbagump

IKnowWood

I have been considering this ever since I seen boxertrio's setup and having a chance to smoke with carage door open.  Then clincher was when I put of shelves in my garage, I made some special shelf space for the Bradley right where I have a big window.  Then I saw there is a power plug - right there.  I researched and wife said it wouldl be ok, but no putting holes in the house, look at using the window.

So I am going to devise a simple setup.  Using a economy (aka Cheap) Vented Range Hood, dryer vent (or conveters to allow it to work, to a peice of scrap plywood cut to match a width for window with a hole cut out for the hose diameter.

When I am smoking the range hood would hover on some simple chain or rope attached to the shelving with "S" hooks.  Board put in open window, then window lowered to make a snug clean fit (so no rain would come in.  Then power the hood and all done.  

When not smoking, the board comes out, vent tube detaches, range hood is removed from "S" hooks and stored near the Bradley.  And with that, the bradley does not need to move.  Just cover when cooled and cleaned.

Once I get this worked out and tested, I will post pic.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

bubbagump

This sounds like a pretty slick set up. I wish I had a window in mine as I would try doing the same.

I'm anxious to hear how it works for you.

Good luck.

Bubbagump

gotbbq

I wish I had a wife who would agree[;)]

gotbbq

owrstrich

i cannot take photos of my new setup because my digicam has a software error and is need of a hammer... nikon... 2nd time same problem... go figure...

anyway... my new set up consists of a carcoal chimney and the motor from a broan 673 bathroom fan...

i decided on the chimney because it has holes in it to relieve vacuum witch can suck smoke from bs... this is very important... do not let your venting system suck to smoke out of the bs...

also its the right diameter to mount fan and has wood handle so i dont electocute myself when the motor shorts out... i used the 673 because its moving the right amount of air and can handle bathroom type steam... i looked up the motor and its used in rangehoods too so we are good to this point...

the chimney with the motor sits over the bs vent... holes at the bottom... then a 8" aluminum flex duct is slid over the top of the chimney and terminates at the window... i make a running trap in the flex duct to trap moisture... the motor is plugged into an extension cord...

the trap is important because the moisture will drain back on top of the bs without it... i will get approx  half a gallon of moisture out of my vent after one of those full 4 shelf 20 hour smokes...

here is one of my old set ups...

i had a smoker full of checken bacon wraps that day... dang those are good... olds photo...

im hungered... gotta eat the beast...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">i decided on the chimney because it has holes in it to relieve vacuum witch can suck smoke from bs... this is very important... do not let your venting system suck to smoke out of the bs...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
This is the reason I liked the idea of the range hood. It allowed the smoke to exit the BS naturally rather than being sucked out by an in-line fan.

Another advantage of using a range hood is that it has filters to help trap the grease. A bathroom exhaust fan is not suited for that type of exhaust and the motor will eventually get gummed up with grease similar to what happens with the damper on the BS.

Almost forgot to mention, your bacon wraps look awesome!!

Bubbagump

owrstrich

bg... those are olds checken bacon wraps... when i saw that photo i promptly went to the grocery and have been smoking variations of them ever since...

i know the motor wont last... i was thinking about cutting a hood filter and putting in the chimney... it was only $18... i got a wood handle though...

whatever i use has to fit inside the bs between smokes... i actually spent allot of time looking for a 12" range hood... ive seen them in hotels with kitchenetts... no luck...

you gotta eat if you dont get electrocuted by the fan first...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by owrstrich</i>
<br />bg... those are olds checken bacon wraps... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
My apologies to Olds [:)]. These are definately on my short list of things to try.

Bubbagump

IKnowWood

I will be using a simple 30" range hood.  enough to catch smoke leaving the door when I rarely open it.  Also when cold smoking, it will create enough of a wind flow to pull any extraneaous smoke coming from my cold smoking box.  with 2 fan speeds I can work it out, raise and lower it till I like the eair flow.  and the filter not only helps reduce gum-up on the fan blades, but also the dryer vent tube.  the one I use now in the cold smoke setup is pretty nasty looking.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes