Buffalo Chicken Cornbread with Blue Cheese Salad

Started by seemore, January 08, 2012, 09:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

Mrs S here.  I made this on Friday.  It is the winner in the Cornbread Festival Cook Off.  Here it is:

Non-stick spray
1 large egg
3/4 C milk
2 T olive oil
1 16.5 pkg yellow cornbread mix
1 C shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 C crumbled blue cheese
2 C fully cooked frozen boneless Buffalo-style hot wings, thawed and diced *****
1/2 t red pepper flakes
2 T chopped cilantro

*****instead of using the frozen wings, I diced up a boneless, skinless chicken breast and cooked it a frying pan with 1T butter and 1/4 C Louisiana hot sauce.  I cooked the meat until it was crispy on the outside from the butter and hot sauce.  I stole this from a Buffalo chicken salad that Rachael Ray makes.

Heat the oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a 10 1/2 inch cast iron skillet with the cooking spray.
Stir the egg, milk and oil together.  Add the cornbread mix, cheddar cheese, blue cheese, chicken, red pepper flakes, and cilantro.  Stir until well blended.
Pour the mixture into the skillet, spreading evenly.  Bake 20-30 minutes until golden brown.

Now, while the cornbread is baking, make the salad topping.

1/2 small head of lettuce, chopped
1 C diced celery
1/2 red onion, sliced
1/2 C crumbled blue cheese
2/3 C blue cheese salad dressing
1/2 C tomatoes, diced
Chopped cilantro.
Combine the ingredients just before serving.

When the cornbread is done, remove from the oven and let cool.  Slice it into 8 wedges.  Top each wedge with an even amount of salad. 

This was VERY good, but you know what made it?  THE SALAD!  The cool, crisp salad on top of the hearty cornbread!

Mrs

mikecorn.1

That looks like some good eats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SnellySmokesEm

Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist