• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brisket Interpertation

Started by chitown_smoke, January 15, 2006, 03:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chitown_smoke

Hello -
  After reviewing most all of the posts here, I attempted to Smoke a 12 lb brisket this weekend (first one this size) and the flat was kind of dry, not inedibale, but not the juicy fall apart stuff.  The point was really good though. For those of you who speak brisket, what is it telling me? Here's what I did:

1.  The brisket was about 14 lbs originally.  I trimed in down to about 12.
2.  Coated in yellow mustard and dry rub it and let it sit over night.
2.  Let the brisket sit out for about 1 hr, Preheated the bradley to about 250.
3. Put brisket fat side up and gave it 4hrs on hickory, the smoker only could reach about 180 at this time (outside temp was in the upper 20,s with a good breeze, had cardboard around it though to help)
4.  After the 4 hrs, changed the water, fliped brisket fat side down, no smkoke and placed strips on bacon on the top rack.
5.  As time went on the smoker got to the 220 I was looking for.  After about 12 hrs the internal temp of the brisket was 189.  I removed it, FTC'd it with about 1/3 cup of apple juice.

Any thoughts?  Mine are that I need to maybe add more water or that my smokers temp is way off to the high side.  Also can anyone recommend a temperature control device for the bradley?  Thanks in advance!

Oldman

Ok the flat, while there are others here who like it, I don't care for.

Next it took you 12 hours to smoke a 12 pound brisket where as it takes me 12 hours to smoke a 6 -- 6 1/2 pound brisket. I believe you ran your Bradley way to hot for a brisket.  I try to keep it around 205 F maximum. If it goes down to 190 F I don't worry about it.  Once you get above the point of boiling water your meat begins to dry out and toughen.  Next do not trust the door thermometer. Get a probe.

If I was to smoke a whole brisket I would cut it into two pieces as the flat will reach 185 F faster than the point. If you still have the flat you can always shred it up add your favorite BBQ, render it all a bit on the stove, lightly steam some hamburger buns and then have sandwiches.

May I suggest that once you finish your smoke period (at the 4 hour mark) to then create a boat out of foil, place brisket in it, add some apple juice and the close it up and place it back into the Bradley.

Once your meat hits a maximum temp of 185 then remove it and FTC for at least two hours.

Next, what grade of meat did you get? Meat will have a USDA stamp on it, but grading is an option for meat packers. No grade stamp and you are more than likely below that of select grade. Now I don't use select I use Choice grade. I also wet age my brisket around 30 days.

A brisket is truely one of the pieces of meat that must be slow smoked.

Hope this information is of help.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

chitown_smoke

Thanks for the info, one question though.  If you make the foil boat, will the brisket be swimming in fat by the time it is done?  Also can you recommend any temp probes?  Are you reffering to a meat thermomator type of deal?  Thanks again!

boxertrio

Chitown,
The Maverick ET-73 dual probe thermometer seems to be the one most smokers use.  It will wirelessly moniter both box and meat temp.  I purchased mine locally, but Northern Tool sells them.  I don't know if Chez Bubba sells them or not, but check his web site to see.  I paid 53$ for mine.

Don't know about the brisket, mine too come out a little dry[V].  I will try Olds suggestions as he is a "Contributer Extraordinaire" and I am just "average"[:D]

Glenn

White smoke good...Black smoke bad!!
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

bubbagump

Hi chitown_smoke,

Below is a link to where I purchased my ET-73. The first one I got I had to return, but the second one has been working like a charm.

Look under the "BBQ and Entertaining Outdoors" section, then "BBQ Thermometers".

http://www.thegadgetsource.com

Bubbagump

JJC

Welcome, Chitown . . . Olds advice is spot-on (and Olds, thanks for the tip on making a foil boat after the smoking is done).  I'm sure your door probe is reading too low, and he's also right about keeping the temp under the BP of water if you can.  Like Iceman and number of Forum members, I use a Mav ET-73.  Wireless range is nly 30-50 feet from outdoors to indoors, but that still works for me.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

bsolomon

The only other item I saw in your list was starting with 14 lbs. that got trimmed down to 12 lbs.  My instinct tells me that this is a lot of trimming.  Perhaps it would be better to leave more of the fat cap on the brisket and then get rid of any extra fat during carving.  As for general drying out, some people use a bacon baste in the top rack, and others have been placing their fat trimmings into the top rack for the same purpose - the fat renders out and drips on the brisket to help keep it moist.  I agree with Olds that the cook time was way too short.  I figure on 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours per lb., which would have you closer to an 18-21 hour timing for a cut that size.