celery curing

Started by tim270866, January 16, 2006, 12:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim270866

Hi..does anyone know how to cure bacon using celery juice instead of nitrites? thanks Tim

manxman

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum.

Have absolutely no idea!

Was aware that celery juice is suppossed to be good for everything from healing ("curing") allergies to cancer, haemorrhoids to gall stones through arthritis, rheumatism, high blood pressure,sexual dysfunction and hangovers!!!!

If everything is to believed it sounds pretty marvellous..... but curing bacon!? Where did you pick up on this idea?

Manxman.
Manxman

JJC

Welcome, Tim!  As Manx says, give us some clues/background and maybe we can conjure something up . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

Shoot I spent 30 mins. on the net looking and nadda... but man o man if everything I read was true then celery truly is the lost fountain of youth.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Shoot I spent 30 mins. on the net looking and nadda... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, I had a quick look after I posted and nothing. High in potassium and a few other bits and bobs of information but nothing helpful.

Could be a spoof!?[}:)]

Manxman.
Manxman

tim270866

Hi..no spoof...as I mentioned in my last message, applegatefarms of NJ produce a bacon called sunday brunch and inject celery juice as a replacement for the nitrites. Tim

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by manxman</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Shoot I spent 30 mins. on the net looking and nadda... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, I had a quick look after I posted and nothing. High in potassium and a few other bits and bobs of information but nothing helpful.

Could be a spoof!?[}:)]

Manxman.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

manxman

Hi Tim,
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">applegatefarms of NJ produce a bacon called sunday brunch and inject celery juice as a replacement for the nitrites.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Did'nt see mention of Applegate Farms in your last post, interesting, perhaps an email to them might enlighten us? The website is:

www.applegatefarms.com

Their products seem to be all organic/natural after a quick look at their website, the sunday brunch bacon does indeed contain celery juice..... be interesting to know the logic behind it although this quote I found somewhere else on the web may provide the answer?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Nitrates can be found to some extent naturally in Spinach, Eggplant, Beets, Lettuce, Turnip Greens, Green Beans, Radishes, Celery, and Collards.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Quite how much celery juice you would need to get a tangible nitrate concentration for a preservative effect I have no idea!

I thought someone might be pulling your leg Tim, apologies, I was wrong![:I]

Manxman.
Manxman