My First Canadian Bacon

Started by wyrman, January 13, 2012, 08:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyrman

I was planning on smoking this Sunday but I was asked to work Saturday and Sunday so I had to get it done.
I bailed out of work early today and wasn't able to let it set like it's supposed to but I figured that was better than letting it set for another week in the fridge.
I set the smoker to 130° for one hour and then up to 160°. I applied apple smoke after 1hour for about 1 1/2 hours. I then bumped it up to 180° towards the end to a temp of 142°. I was shooting for 140° to 145°.

I cut a few slices off to try it out. Not too impressed, but not bad.

I'm going to put it in the fridge for a couple of days then slice it.

I just never know with my work so I have to do what I have to do as I am saving for a new to me boat and I'm not going to finance it.  8)
BTW, the PID rocks! Thank you Mike!

La Quinta

I think it looks perfect...what didn't you like about it?

wyrman

It seemed to have a lot of oion powder taste. I'm sure it will mellow out after a cople of days. It's not bad, just not what I was expecting at the time.

squirtthecat

Oh yeah!  Give it a few days, the flavors will melt together...    I thought my last one was over the top salty, but I just had some yesterday and it was fine.

wyrman

I am going to let it set for a few days but I brought four pieces to work this morning for breakfast and it tastes good on a egg sandwich. My co-worker likes it a lot.

bears fan

Mr Walleye

Certainly looks excellent Wyrman!  8)

As the others have said a day or two sitting in the fridge seems to help balance out the flavors.

Glad you got the PID all figured out. It definitely makes the process easier for sure.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

wyrman

Thank you bearsfan and Mike.
With the drip pan away from the element the PID stayed within 1°.  :)
I'm sure glad that I got tired of the old smoker and decided to go digital.

SouthernSmoked

Looks awesome wyrman!  8)

You'll never go back to buying it!  ;)
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

ghost9mm

Now that is some good lookin canadian bacon...looks super good to me...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

wyrman

Thank you Southernsmoked and ghost9mm.

pikeman_95

Greg
I think they look great. What did you use for a brine.
KC

wyrman

Thank you Kirby. I used Eldons bacon rub and added onion powder and garlic. I know I need to wait a couple of days but I sliced a few more slices for breakfast tomorrow morning as I'm working again and I tried some, I'm liking it better already.
I'm going to try to get my stuffer hooked up next weekend, it's killing me just sitting there in pieces. Work's getting in the way though.

pikeman_95

Quote from: wyrman on January 14, 2012, 07:26:17 PM
Work's getting in the way though.

You can say that again. I just don't have the time to do all the things that I see on this forum. When I get done with work I am usually out in the shop until about 10:30 making stuffers. I turn 62 next week and I am sure looking forward to retiring soon. Then besides making stuffers I will have some time to do the things I like to do like spear fishing Pike. I usually start in June in the spring and then go through October. I am glad you have work to do there are so many I know that are out of work.
You will get your stuffer together soon enough. It doesn't take that much and you seem quite capable.
Kirby

wyrman

I do indeed feel very blessed that I have a very good job and very steady.
Talk about working late, I average a double shift once a week and I get home around 1:00am and am back up at 4:30 to go back to work. It makes one pretty tired.
We'll appreciate it when we're lounging on our new to us Crownline cruiser this summer and it's paid for.