• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Fire

Started by mlp311, January 15, 2012, 12:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlp311

So???? Is it possible to salvage an OBS after a fire inside the cabinet? Im sure the door is shot, but inside of cabinet bulges in a few spots but looks OK. 
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

Sorry to hear that your smoker caught on fire. Salvaging may depend on how bad the fire was. Extreme temperatures will melt the insulation, and burn your wiring. The wiring is an easy fix, but replacing the insulation on the sides and top may be difficult.

If it was a small fire and the insulation is alright, it may be salvageable. Also if only the magnetic strip was damaged on the door, you may only need to replace that. The bulging may be more difficult to repair. My smoker developed some bulging on the rear panel, and many times I have tried to straighten it out, it will still bulge.

If you can send pictures that would be beneficial for us to help you. Also if you could share you experience, and discuss what may have cause the fire, could be helpful to others.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ghost9mm

Like Hab said, it would be nice to know just what might have caused that fire along with some pictures, sorry to hear that you had a fire...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

mikecorn.1

Man that socks. Hopefully you can salvage it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

beefmann

that sucks, though it depends on how bad the fire was

bears fan

It is stories of fires that reminds me to not give into the urge of having mine in my garage.  On cold days  it would be nice, but if a fire happened it would not be worth it.  I would also like to know more of what happened to cause your fire.

devo

This just motivated me to clean my drip tray, I am real bad for not cleaning it.

viper125

Well mine is in the garage. But every thing removable gets washed after each smoke. I don't take any chances with grease fires. Not sure if the electric element would or could start a fire. But i am sure smoldering puck could. Have seen it happen camping quite a few times. The drip tray is well designed but can plug. So i keep an eye on that and have removed ,scraped and put back during a smoke.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

mikecorn.1

I wash everything after a smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

GusRobin

MLP - do you know what caused the fire?Did you have foil on the v tray?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mlp311

mlp311

mlp311

Tenpoint5

Not sure if just a new door would be the cure all for this one. But the inside walls don't loo to be bulging that much. might still work. Of course now that the new upgraded models have come out. I would upgrade. Especially now that you have the corporate office turned on to all of the good smoked meats you were making before the fire!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mlp311

Not the best pics in the world. Its toast. I can feel the insulation crackle behind the metal on the bottom half. I was smoking a brisket. I did have foil on half the v drip pan, but I don't think that was the problem. My problem was a dry drip pan. I was going good. Temp had just regained to 250. I was in the process of boiling water to refill drip pan. I look over at thermometer again, and it seems like temp had gone from 252 to 400 in about 5 seconds. I had alarm on my digital thermometer set at 250 and had just silenced it. I walked outside and the top of my smoker looked like an old steam engine exhaust. I went back inside, got my fire extinguisher and opened the door to find the inside of my Bradley fully involved.

Im glad I was still up, would hate to see the outcome had I not been. Im guilty of not washing everything after every smoke. I usually just take my putty knife and scrape everything off really well.

Im going to go with a Bradley again, plan on ordering my replacement tomorrow. So I've learned a valuable lesson. I need to throughly clean everything and pay closer attention to drip pan to make sure it has water. My pride is really hurting, but at least my house didn't burn down.

Guys I'm a professional fireman and I wouldn't use one of these smokers indoors at all. In the future, it will not even be anywhere near my house. Im serious when I say everything looked good one minute and turned very bad within a few minutes. 

I found a OBS through Sears for $250, and I don't think I can repair this one for under that.