When in doubt, try another route !

Started by outdoorsfellar, January 16, 2012, 04:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsfellar

This past weekend, I decided to fire up the Brad in its new enclosure by inviting a Flat inside. The big hurdle here was the outside temps... @ 15 degree before dipping down all the more after midnight. Midnight was in fact the time I put the 4 lb brisket in, knowing it was going to be a struggle to maintain any good heat, so strike one against me. I woke up @ 0530 & my Maverick at my bedside showed the IT was coming along @ 164 even though the smoker temp was showing 199. I went down to change out the water though it wasn't necessary at that time & turn the fat side upright at 6 am & I also foiled it since the IT was saying 167 at that time. It was more like 147 when I looked at the Maverick again. I went back to bed & at close to 11am when I woke up, the IT was registering 191. ... strike 2. At @ 1pm, I FTC'd & waited until my wife to come back home, which we then ate.... strike 3.

All I used to prepare the flat was Carolina Treet with a dusting of a mesquite & used 3 hrs of hickory.

The strikes against me were ... #1 -  it was too cold for the heat to rise where I wanted it, which affected the tenderness I believe. #2 -  I should have kept the flat foiled longer & let it go above 190, which affected the tenderness. #3 - We ate too soon. I should have left it in the Brad until close to 5 or 6pm.

Ok, now for the good ....

This was in fact very tastey. I was really pleased with myself for that. It was tough in the middle & I see over & over in these forums with others are having issues as well. The best thing I can say is, ( & it's been said before ) no two flats are alike. So, the longer you can keep your meat in the smoker, the better. The next time I won't smoke when it's that cold, or at least start sooner.  I did hit a homerun just the same. This evening's meal, I reheated the flat using a jar of gravy & covered it with foil in the oven for 3 hrs at 270 degrees or less. The meat came close to falling apart & I could still taste the hickory, so this all turned out as a success.

It's very easy to become discouraged when you have your hopes set high & something isn't to your liking. Just remember to think outside the box for the end result.

mikecorn.1

Nice looking hunk-a-meat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

ghost9mm

Well that money shot really looks good, IMHO I think every cut of meat cooks a little different and two different briskets in the bradley will not always cook the same...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

OU812

That plate of grub looks great!

I like to add mushrooms when warmin up the meat in gravy,,,,,mmmmm gooood.

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

OldHickory

Warm ups are many times better than the origional cook.  Nice recovery.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.