• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Venison Sausage question...

Started by Sam3, January 17, 2012, 09:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam3

I usually cut up my own deer and I will blend 2 lbs of 80/20 GB to 8 lbs of ground venison. Then I bag them into 1.0lb packages.
My question is, if I was to make 10lbs of sticks in 21mm collagen casings, would you add some ground pork to it? Or just go with the blend I have?

Sam3

BTW, I have made ground jerky this way with the jerky shooter and did them in the oven. They came out good. I just never did them in casings in the smoker before. I used CY Hillbilly Jerky mix with the ground meat.

RAF128

I don't think you want to use the jerky spice for sausage.   There are several companies that make spices for sticks.   Hi Mountain is onethat comes to mind, but there are others like LEM.   I'd add pork to you're mix.   I use 30% pork.  I use what my butcher call 50/50, 1/2 meat and 1/2 pork fat.  Others add more and some less.    It's a matter of taste.   Sausage needs pork or it'll be too dry.

Sam3

Quote from: RAF128 on January 17, 2012, 10:40:46 AM
I don't think you want to use the jerky spice for sausage.   There are several companies that make spices for sticks.   Hi Mountain is onethat comes to mind, but there are others like LEM.   I'd add pork to you're mix.   I use 30% pork.  I use what my butcher call 50/50, 1/2 meat and 1/2 pork fat.  Others add more and some less.    It's a matter of taste.   Sausage needs pork or it'll be too dry.

Great points, thanks. I've seen someone use 70/30 GB with AC Legg seasoning. So I bought the same seasoning to try as well. I can probably get away with 7 lbs of what I have with 3lb of ground pork.