• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Fibrous Casings

Started by rcger, January 19, 2012, 07:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcger

I'm making some salami this weekend.  I'll be stuffing it into some LEM 1 1/2 x 12" Fibrous Casings.  Will smoke penetrate these at all or am I wasting pucks?  Thanks in advance.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

devo

Yes it will

Before smoke

After smoke

rcger

Does anyone ever smoke for 3-4 hours and then let them swim in a hot waterbath until they reach the desired IT?
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Kevin A

Quote from: rcger on January 20, 2012, 01:18:41 PM
Does anyone ever smoke for 3-4 hours and then let them swim in a hot waterbath until they reach the desired IT?
yes.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: rcger on January 20, 2012, 01:18:41 PM

Absolutely!

I usually don't go by time in the smoker as much as I look for that nice mahogany color on them. It is typically around 4 hours though and the IT is usually around 135 degrees when I give them the hot water bath. I keep the hot water bath around 160 degrees and take the sausage to 155 degrees IT. Then I let them them hang to bloom at room temp for a minimum of 2 hours or more.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes