Question for Hi Mountain Seasoning Users

Started by lmcgrew02, January 22, 2012, 05:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmcgrew02

I was wondering if anyone when using Hi Mountain Jerky seasonings cut back on the cure that the recipe calls for to cut back on the saltiness of the jerky.  I have a couple kits that I want to use up but the jerky is way to salty.   I usually smoke in my OBS and then bring in and finish it in the dehydrator.  Just don't want to poison myself by not puttin in enough cure packet in the jerky.

devo

Ya I have cut way back on there cure as I find it so salty my dog wont even eat it. Even with cutting it back it's still very salty. Might just throw the whole 0 load in the garbage cause thats how it comes out.

lmcgrew02

Devo,  Do you cut it in half or how much do you cut back on it?  Thanks for the info!

nasels

I am strictly a newbee. I thought you had to adhere to the recommended cure in the jerky, especially if it is GB and not muscle meat. I just did my first sticks from a Hi-Mountain kit and they were a tad salty.
I suppose finishing it in the oven helps some if you reduce cure?

Tiny Tim

Do not cut back on the cure.  I found by accident that if you let the cure and seasoning mix sit on the meat for 2-3 days in the fridge, that the saltiness dissipates...at least it did on the batches I made a couple years ago, haven't done any lately.

I had prepared the meat to go into the smoker the following day, but it ended up being (I think) 3 days later that I finally had time to do it, and not wanting to waste the 3 pounds of meat I was doing, gave it a shot, and it turned out pretty darn good.

Habanero Smoker

For whole muscle jerky, I only use a cure when I am looking for a specific flavor, ground meat jerky is different and that I always use a cure.

I've been trying to find out more information on these two product, and both are blended to work on their own. So when you use both together you are adding way too much salt. If I where using the High Mt. seasoning mix, I would not use the Hi Mt. cure. The Hi Mt. cure, from what I can gather is very similar to Morton's TQ. If you like the High Mt. seasoning mix, and you need to use a cure I would substitute Cure #1 and use that cure as it is directed, that will cut down on the extra salt. Or if you use Hi Mt. cure, do what FLBentRider recently posted; use you own seasoning and don't add any extra salt.

Edited:
To clarify what I mean about using cure #1 as directed. Use the direcitions for cure #1, not the directions on the High Mt. cure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

devo

Quote from: lmcgrew02 on January 22, 2012, 07:03:43 PM
Devo,  Do you cut it in half or how much do you cut back on it?  Thanks for the info!

I have tried cutting it back just a tad as said you should always add cure to the right amounts of meat. The problem with hi-mountain cure the company can't even tell you what the percentages of nitrates are in the cure so I stopped using it till I know that they are putting the right amount into their product. Who knows they might be over doing it. I have had this conversation with Habs in hopes to get some information on their cure but we both have come up empty.

wthr_dude

I have made a lot of ground jerky with the high mountain kits and as a general rule I cut the cure down by about 1/3 and use about 1.5 times as much water as they recommend.  It't not the best but it always gets eaten, and its a quick easy way to use up lots of extra ground venison

devo

When I first bought my smoker of course I wanted to make jerky, who doesn't. The first mistake I made was not finding this fine site and reading  :( If I did I would not have bought Hi-mountain products but I did and thinking hey if you buy bulk you get it cheaper so that,s what I did. I always made whole meat jerky with it and used their recommended amounts. The result was way to salty....like I said the dog would not even eat it. After finding this site I started making my own jerky mix where I could control the amount of salt not the amount of cure #1 put the salt level. So now I have this big bag of hi-mountian cure sitting here and thought hey maybe I can start using it up if I new the percentages of nitrite in their cure. I asked Hab's if he had any info on it and he came up with nothing. So the next step was to ask the company to provide me with the info. They emailed me back and said they can not provide me with that information. Now this scares the heck out of me, they either don't know or it's some kind of secret, either way I'm done with this company and their product.

NePaSmoKer

FLBentRider

We don't seem to find it overly salty, I'm on my second 7lb bag of bulk cure. I don't ever add salt as a seasoning, and the dogs seem to like it just fine  :o

Having said that, for whole muscle applications, what is the appropriate amount of cure #1 per pound for jerky ? 1 tsp per 5lbs ?

I use a dry application. Putting liquid on something you want to dry out seems counter-productive.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 23, 2012, 10:38:11 AM
We don't seem to find it overly salty, I'm on my second 7lb bag of bulk cure. I don't ever add salt as a seasoning, and the dogs seem to like it just fine  :o

Having said that, for whole muscle applications, what is the appropriate amount of cure #1 per pound for jerky ? 1 tsp per 5lbs ?

I use a dry application. Putting liquid on something you want to dry out seems counter-productive.

That amount of cure #1 will work for a dry cure on either whole muscle, or ground jerky.

I believe the problems of member's jerky becoming too salty, is using both the Hi Mt. seasoning which contains salt high levels of salt, and the Hi Mt cure which also contains high levels of salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

lmcgrew02

Thanks everyone for the info! Both batches of the hi mountain that I have tried I have used the hi mountain cure packet and also the hi mountain seasoning packet.  I think to use up what I have left I am going to throw the Hi Mountain cure packet in the garbage and just use the right amount of Cure #1 in the batch and see how that turns out.  Don't think I will be purchasing Hi Mountain products again in the future.

oguard

When I make whole muscle jerky I marinate with  tablespoon of course salt and what ever my marinade will consist of, this is for 5lbs of meat. I also cook my marinade so the salt is dissolved throughout the liquid.

Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

rsherman24

I used to use a seasoning / cure mix from Jack Links for ground jerky and had the same issues so I would cut back on the cure mixture.  Eventually I couldn't find the mix available anymore so I decided to make my own and use some Cure #1 or Tender Quick.  I made up some small batches and played with the seasonings until I got it to my taste.  I add 1 teaspoon of Cure #1 for 5 pounds of ground venison (which is usually what I make it out of).  Once you get a base recipe you like, it is very easy to adjust to your liking.  Best part is that you don't have to buy the seasoning kits.