What a difference the fan mod makes with sticks

Started by Sailor, January 23, 2012, 08:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

I have been making lots of smoked nuts since installing the fan mod that I got for Christmas and this is the 1st time that I have made sticks since installing the fan.  I am really impressed with how even my temps are and how good the smoke is circulating. 

Smoke rolling out the vent

Just popped the door open and full of smoke

View of the sticks

Smoke is really circulating at the bottom

Right temp is cabinet temp with the probe at the top.  This the placement I use to control the temp.  Right reading is a probe just 1 inch from the v tray

A few minutes later.  I do get a 3 degree swing from the top to the bottom and find that the top will swing up 3 degrees and then comes back down.

Before the fan I would get a 20 degree swing in the top and bottom.  I am very pleased with the mod and would recommend the mod to anyone that wants to keep a steady temp.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

Jim

Thats very nice. I just cant bring myself to drilling in my 6 rack   :o :o :-\

BTW

Nice sticks

mikecorn.1

Nice looking sticks.
Btw. Is this what you got. Was looking on getting one also. Is it just drill and mount. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Sailor

Mike, I was pretty lazy so I asked the kids to get me the kit instead of buying the parts to do the mod.  Got the kit from Smokeandstuff.  http://smokeandstuff.com/index.php/categories/fan-kits

Was easy to install.  I did not get the hole straight so had to enlarge the hole but not a problem and works fantastic.

Sam3

That's a pretty cool looking kit. Thanks for the review, might be worth looking into.
Nice sticks too.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Sailor on January 23, 2012, 09:11:39 AM
Mike, I was pretty lazy so I asked the kids to get me the kit instead of buying the parts to do the mod.  Got the kit from Smokeandstuff.  http://smokeandstuff.com/index.php/categories/fan-kits

Was easy to install.  I did not get the hole straight so had to enlarge the hole but not a problem and works fantastic.
DUH!!  Yeah, I found the link on another thread and when I asked if this is the one you got I forgot to paste the link. :D

Mike

Smoke some

Thanks for the info Sailor, just ordered a fan kit.   ;)

lumpy

Thanks for the fan post Sailor. Good to see that the fan has made a difference.
I have read a few posts in the past that the owners where not impressed with the fan mod.

I too have done the mod but have not yet had a chance to test it.

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

muebe

My fan mod gives me much more even temps and faster cooks ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Sailor on January 23, 2012, 09:11:39 AM

Would you happen to have a pic of where you mounted it. I have the 4 rack. Thanks

Mike

beefmann

Sailor

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on January 23, 2012, 08:59:52 AM
Nice looking sticks.
Btw. Is this what you got. Was looking on getting one also. Is it just drill and mount. Thanks

Mike, sorry it took so long to reply to your question.  The fan kit had a templete and I followed the instructions.  I have experimented with the placement of the fan blade on the shaft and one can adjust the air movement by moving the blade closer to the wall or away from the wall.  I did my adjustment the redneck way.  Took a long strip of (clean) toilet paper and watched the way the paper was pulling or blowing depending on the blade placement.  I think I have it adjusted to give me a "tornado" effect.  I have noticed that when I open the door and the cabinet temp drops my probe will have cycles of dropping 20 to 30 degrees and then bounce back up and drop again.  I contribute this to the fan blowing the colder air around and a blast of cooler air comes across the probe and then a blast of hotter air brings it up then it all balances out and holds steady.  Prob TMI  :o  At any rate here is the photo of my fan placement according to the instructions.   Yeah, I know my v tray is pretty dirty.  Most of it is smoke from doing all the nuts and too lazy to wash it up.  ;D

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Sailor on January 26, 2012, 10:08:34 AM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on January 23, 2012, 08:59:52 AM
Nice looking sticks.

Mike, sorry it took so long to reply to your question.  The fan kit had a templete and I followed the instructions.  I have experimented with the placement of the fan blade on the shaft and one can adjust the air movement by moving the blade closer to the wall or away from the wall.  I did my adjustment the redneck way.  Took a long strip of (clean) toilet paper and watched the way the paper was pulling or blowing depending on the blade placement.  I think I have it adjusted to give me a "tornado" effect.  I have noticed that when I open the door and the cabinet temp drops my probe will have cycles of dropping 20 to 30 degrees and then bounce back up and drop again.  I contribute this to the fan blowing the colder air around and a blast of cooler air comes across the probe and then a blast of hotter air brings it up then it all balances out and holds steady.  Prob TMI  :o  At any rate here is the photo of my fan placement according to the instructions.   Yeah, I know my v tray is pretty dirty.  Most of it is smoke from doing all the nuts and too lazy to wash it up.  ;D

No biggie. Thanks for the reply and photo. Probably will be ordering the fan kit next week.

Mike