New to me BTST02

Started by Austin, January 23, 2012, 03:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austin

I have always wanted a Bradley to add to my back deck for cold smoking and for smoking those smaller items where it just doesn't make sense to fire up one of the big monsters.  I recently had a BTST02 given to me by my Uncle.  He says it has been used only 4 or 5 times and it has been maybe 4 years since it was used last.  The unit looks to be in pretty good shape, but was not cleaned up after that last use.  (pics to come)  I am excited to have this and want to clean it up quickly and check it out to make sure it is operating correctly.  I have picked up a ton of useful info from you guys so far, but I do have 2 questions remaining.  First, what is the best way to clean the inside of the cooker?  Would oven cleaner or something like Dawn work?  Second, I would love to get my hands on the users manual.  Anyone know of where to get one as I didn't find it on Bradley's site.

Thanks,
Houston
Houston Robbins

Stumps Clone
Homemade Offset Drum Smoker
Bradley Electric Smoker
Weber 22.5" Kettle
KCBS CBJ & TC
"Bacon is a gateway Meat"

Austin

I guess I have a third question.  How to post the pics I took?

Thanks,
Houston
Houston Robbins

Stumps Clone
Bradley Electric Smoker
Weber 22.5" Kettle
KCBS CBJ & TC

ghost9mm

Hello and welcome to a really great forum, here is a link that may be of some help with picture posting...

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=768#post768
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

mikecorn.1

This site is the user's manual. :D all you do is ask a question and it gets answered. I dont clean mine inside. The blacker the inside, the
Better.  The racks I soak in a big bucket full of water and dish soap. The v tray I do clean with a putty knife or wire brush depending on how bad it get during the cooking. The slide on the puck burner I wire brush off the gunk after a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

devo

You might want to look into this as some of those models where recalled

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/recall.html

Habanero Smoker

You will find tips on cleaning in the link provided by ghost9mm.

You do not want to clean the walls, unless there is mold build up. If there is no mold, just crumple up a newspaper, and brush any loose particals, and I would reseason it, and then let it run "hot" for about 30 minutes.

Devo;

Thanks! I've never seen that recall. I may fall within that recall, but it looks like a do it yourself project.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Austin

Lots of great info guys.  Thanks to each of you for the replies.  I will work on setting myself up a Photobucket account so I can post pics.  And I will also check on the recall to see if this one is involved and if it is something I can easily fix myself.  Lots to learn on here for sure, but I am looking forward to it!

Thanks again,
Houston
Houston Robbins

Stumps Clone
Bradley Electric Smoker
Weber 22.5" Kettle
KCBS CBJ & TC

Austin

OK, here are a couple of pics of the inside.  What do you guys think?

Houston
Houston Robbins

Stumps Clone
Bradley Electric Smoker
Weber 22.5" Kettle
KCBS CBJ & TC

devo

I think clean the v-tray and bottom pan, brush out the wood chips and give the smoke generator a good clean out and you should be smoking in no time.

mikecorn.1

Ditto. That doesn't look that bad at all. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

As your uncle stated, that has only been used a few times. There is probably no need to clean the generator, but it could hurt to open it up and take a look. I would also wash the trays before using.

If he gave you any bisquettes, check them for any swelling that may cause them to jam while feeding. If the bisquettes were stored in an area with high moisture, that can cause them to swell.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Austin

Thanks again guys.  I am going to clean the V-Tray and racks and vacuum out the bits left over from an old bisquette.

Habanero, I hadn't thought of the bisquettes he gave me.  Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  They don't look swollen, just kinda crumbly.  There are a couple that are still sealed up in plastic, but they look like they may fall apart if I were to handle them.  I was just gonna toss them and get a new pack or two this weekend.
Houston Robbins

Stumps Clone
Bradley Electric Smoker
Weber 22.5" Kettle
KCBS CBJ & TC

Habanero Smoker

The bisquettes sound like they are alright. Some will get crumbly some what, but they should be alright to use. If not with the Bradley, you can use them in your grill. I place them in a small pie pan, and on top of the heat source.

I see you are a KCBS certified judge and table captain. Enjoy your judging!!!  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

slowpoke

Welcome Austin,Oven cleaner will have them trays shining in knowtime.Oh ya lots of elbow grease and sos pads.Really nice pictures.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.