NOLA style roast beef po boy

Started by KyNola, January 27, 2012, 07:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Found a recipe for NOLA style roast beef po boys.  Had to tweak it a time or two to make the chuck roast(bad choice of beef for this) get really fall apart tender.  Also had to tweak the seasoning in the gravy.  CajunBoudreaux, thank you again for that Bourque's Cajun Seasoning. :)

After several hours simmering and tasting we finally got to here.  Recipe called for mayo and shredded lettuce on the po boy.  Not in my house, just looking for that really dark rich brown gravy over that beef.

Here is a pic of the finished product.  Started this at 11AM.  8PM was a good time to eat.

Really good but will continue to tweak this.  The pic doesn't do it justice.  The plate had a lot of gravy in the bottom dripping off the poboy.  All in all, a good first run.  Jan and I will work on this and make this better though.   

squirtthecat

Ka Honu

Only one word need be spoken... "Debris"

My work here is done.

KyNola

Quote from: Ka Honu on January 27, 2012, 07:25:41 PM
Only one word need be spoken... "Debris"
My work here is done.

You mean DAYbree?  Look a little closer oh wise sea turtle.  Plenty of it in the gravy.  Used a stick blender to grind up the onions and carrots that had been cooking it there all day.  Also plenty of beef "crumbs".  Never said I was an expert.......yet. ;)  One of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of the chuck roast.  Just wouldn't fall apart as quickly as I would have liked.

Would be most interested to see your version Paul.

Ka Honu

That wasn't a correction or suggestion; it was an observation.  I can't taste it but it looks like you did it perfectly (and I don't like the mayo either although I've been known to add a bit of Zatarain's Creole Mustard once in a great while).

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

beefmann

KyNola

Quote from: Ka Honu on January 27, 2012, 08:33:47 PM
That wasn't a correction or suggestion; it was an observation.  I can't taste it but it looks like you did it perfectly (and I don't like the mayo either although I've been known to add a bit of Zatarain's Creole Mustard once in a great while).
I didn't take it as a correction or suggestion, just a little hard to see in the pic.  My apologies if it read that way.  Sure do miss that legit NOLA french bread though.  No crunch on a d@mned whole wheat hoagie roll. >:( ;D

KyNola

NOW we're talking DAYbree gravy.  Lesson learned with this recipe.  Long time cooking the beef.  Put it in the frig for a day.  This is what you wind up with.

The slices of beef will begin to give up some of their goodness.  The result is scraps of beef in the gravy.

For those of you who aren't familiar with New Orleans roast beef po' boys, the secret is in the gravy.  It is called "debris gravy" pronouned DAYbree because the gravy should be full of all the goodness of the beef.  Bits and pieces of carrots, onions and slivers of beef.  You slow cook the beef in a pot of beef stock with carrots and onions in it.

If some of you want the recipe I used let me know and I can post a link.  With a couple of personal tweaks, this is a keeper!

deb415611

wow... nice Larry.  I want one of those...........  would it be totally wrong to hide some cheese underneath the beef?

Wildcat

Looks great Larry. Although NO is only about 3.5 hours from my house, I have not been there since the big storm. Loved their roast beef po boys (along with a lot of other stuff). I think you should post the recipe on the recipe site when you get it just right.

Rick
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

squirtthecat

KyNola

Deb, you want cheese on it?  Put cheese on it!  Works for me. :)  Once you get the beef and debris gravy on it done correctly, the rest is up to you.

Rick, I'll be happy to.  Pretty close on it already.

Pat, ;D ;D ;D Doing the best I can up here in KY.

ACW3

Man, that looks good.  We just got back from NOLA last night, and now I'm hungry again.  Four days there was not enough.  That crunchy French bread does make  a difference.  At least it won't fall apart as quickly as a "soft roll" will.  Nice for mopping up the excess goodness.

Art
MAK 2 Star (# 171)
Weber Kettle (old school charcoal)
KCBS CBJ
NCBS

NePaSmoKer

OMG.....WHO DAT MAKING NOLA RB. AWESOME